String Theory

herme3

Could somebody please explain the details of the string theory using fairly simple terms? I have tried researching this, but every web site uses complex terms and phrases that don't make sense to me. I also couldn't find a good explanation in any SFN threads.

Are strings the building blocks of matter, smaller than atoms? What are they? What are their properties?

A very simplified wordy view.

String "theory" is a set of postulates that basically say that what we currently consider to be the fundemental particles (quarks, electrons etc...) are made of of "strings" of energy, which depending on who you talk too can exist in many differnt dimentions and lots of other weird stuff...

String theory cosists of very complicated math and as such no solid predictions can be made. String theory is also all theoretical but it is becoming more and more renoud as the problems string theory can solve are astounding. An example is it can tie relativity with quantum mechanics, or so ive heard. The basics are that the entirety of out universe, that means everything, is composed of strings. Strings are one dimensional objects with length and tension. In string theory strings are supposed to be the fundamental ingredients of the universe. Strings behave just like a guitar string. They can have diferent tensions and lengths and just like a guitar with different tensions and lengths produces different notes, a string in string theory produces different vibrational patterns. In string theory the different vibrational patterns which can be exihibited produce the different particles seen in the univers and their respected properties. EX: A group of strings can resonate together to protuce a electron. Because of the specific vibrational pattern the electron has a negative charge and a spcific spin and also its givin mass etc. There is so much to string theory and the more modern brane theory but If you want more specific answers ask a more specific questions as im sure there are many people here who would like to help. If you are truly interested there is a book called The Eleagant Universe by Brian Green which explain all of the theories and how they came about. You should check it out.

Good Luck

Its sort of hard to explain right now as we do not really understand a lot of the theory.

The maths itself is so complex that we can't really make any calculations from it right now, those tht we can dont really make sence yet because we do not understand some of the underlying ideas.

If your looking for agood introduction but little math then read these books, I have read both and things made a lot more sence afterwards :D

The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene

He made those books well worth a read :)

If books are not your thing then this may prove interesting:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

Brian should answer your questions and lead you to some more that we have yet to answer :D

Cheers and enjoy,

Ryan Jones

From what I have read it seems that there are these "strings" which make up all matter. They are the newest smallest constituents of matter. These theoretical strings like real strings have properties such as modes etc. each different set of conditions in a string is a different particle in a different state.

Atleast thats how I have understood it. I have read "The Elegant Universe" but not "The Fabric of the Cosmos" and I have a textbook called "A First Course in String Theory" but I haven't had a chance tolook at it.