Help

chewysquirre

I am doing a project for science I am supposed to do a science projet in which I design a vehicle that travels over a fishing line suspended above the classroom the vehicle cannot be gaspowered any ideas?

A small electric motor should work, a few batteries should make it run a charm :)

Are you looking for something a bit more specific?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I need to do this project too..

We can't hit it or any bs like that. It should be lightweight. I wanna make it hang from the line. So, you can use pumps for rockets and stuff like that. About the electric motor: Where could you buy one of those? Any major stores carry them? Could you also give me another simpler way to do this?

Psquared, if anyone responds with a simpler way, I called it!! hah xD

Electric motor and a fan could be used to propell it.

Ok, but would a fan really be powerful enough? It has to small and light dude, so you'd have to use one of those handheld fans and stuff. Would that be strong enough? Could anything that I wouldn't have to go out and buy be used? Or at least something easy to find..

Go to radio shack, buy a $9.99 motor. It probably weights about 100 grams. Get a cheap plastic fan blade, glue it to the motor, and hook up a cell phone battery. Get a straw, and attach this whole dealie to the straw.

Or get a straw and a balloon. Blow it up, and attach it to the straw, and let it loose. Simpler, cheaper, lighter.

Go to radio shack' date=' buy a $9.99 motor. It probably weights about 100 grams. Get a cheap plastic fan blade, glue it to the motor, and hook up a cell phone battery. Get a straw, and attach this whole dealie to the straw.

Or get a straw and a balloon. Blow it up, and attach it to the straw, and let it loose. Simpler, cheaper, lighter.[/quote']

How would you attach the cell phone battery to that? where? I'm a dumb kid, help me out. i'm gonna go look at a picture of a standard electric motor righ' now.

Buy a $2 rubberband powered balsa-wood airplane. Attach the landing gear assembly upside down, snip off the wheels and bend the end of the gear wire into a small circle (this is where the fishing line will run through). You could attach the other leg of the wire near the tail for stability with the same wire circle. Wind up the propeller and let it go. If it's stable enough on the wire you may not need the wings or tail either.

Buy a $2 rubberband powered balsa-wood airplane. Attach the landing gear assembly upside down, snip off the wheels and bend the end of the gear wire into a small circle (this is where the fishing line will run through). You could attach the other leg of the wire near the tail for stability with the same wire circle. Wind up the propeller and let it go. If it's stable enough on the wire you may not need the wings or tail either.

Yea the teacher mentioned one of those. But where can I buy them? I never seem em anywhere..this is what I'll prob'y use...so please, where can I get one?

If you're in the East Coast of the US, Walgreens or Hobby Lobby may have them, or any specialty kite shop. Turnertoys.com and magiccabin.com sell them online. If you're in Peru or Columbia I have no idea of any shops where you can find them.

After checking out the online stuff, my $2 idea is more like $6-$7. Personally, I like Anjruu's idea of the straw glued to the balloon. Use a wood glue like Elmer's since a superglue may eat a hole in the latex. You'd need to cut a slot along the SIDE of the straw so it can be attached to the fishing line. Use scissors to dramatically snip the tied end of the balloon to get you going.

Here's the kicker: go have a burger and soda at Red Robin or some other place that gives balloons to the kids. You talk them out of an unfilled balloon, make sure to grab the straw from your soda and you tell the teacher your vehicle cost you nada, zip, bupkis. And your vehicle will have a sponsor's name on the side.

The problem with the balloon idea is that the exhaust nozzle (the part of the balloon you blow into) likes to flap around, and so the balloon would end up going round and round the string just as much as it would going along it.
Scotch tape 3-4 paper clips in a chain to the underside of the balloon. Not enough weight to slow it down much but enough to keep it from rotating. And still relatively free!

glue string to the centre of either side of a yo-yo and suspend weights from them -- the yo-yo should rest on the fishing wire without falling off due to the 'keel' effect of the weights.

now, wind the yo-yo up, rest it on the fishing wire, and attach another weight to the end of the main bit of string: the weight should make the yo-yo spin as the string unwinds, and thus roll along the fishing wire.

maybe?

After checking out the online stuff' date=' my $2 idea is more like $6-$7. Personally, I like Anjruu's idea of the straw glued to the balloon. Use a wood glue like Elmer's since a superglue may eat a hole in the latex. You'd need to cut a slot along the SIDE of the straw so it can be attached to the fishing line. Use scissors to dramatically snip the tied end of the balloon to get you going.

Here's the kicker: go have a burger and soda at Red Robin or some other place that gives balloons to the kids. You talk them out of an unfilled balloon, make sure to grab the straw from your soda and you tell the teacher your vehicle cost you nada, zip, bupkis. And your vehicle will have a sponsor's name on the side.[/quote']

Why would I cut one end of the balloon? I don't get it..

You mean, (if the balloon is being held upright) right above the knot thing to let all the air out? Wouldn't that...not work?

How would I tie the balloon to the straw? It'd have to hang a bit. Wouldn't the balloon be tilted downward because of the weight?

Where would I tape the clips to?

Phi/anyone: Could you make a diagram on Paint telling me where and how to put everything to make it go? 'Cause I seriously don't get how you'd do this.

By the way, I went to a nearby store which everyone in my class said would have the airplanes. No. nothing. My brother never even heard of them and he worked at Kmart for a whiiile..

1. Blow up and tie off the balloon.

2. Take a straw and cut it in half because you don't need it to be too long (this is the part that will ride along the fishing line).

3. Cut the top of the straw lengthwise with a sharp knife or small scissors (so it can be placed over the fishing line)

4. Glue the straw along the top of the balloon in the direction of travel (from the top of the balloon to the part you tied off) and let it dry overnight.

5. Slip the cut straw over the fishing line.

6. When it's time to travel, snip the nozzle end of the balloon (the part you tied off) to make it shoot down the wire.

You probably wouldn't actually need to cut the nozzle of the balloon, cept if you want style points.

The paper clips would provide ballast. Gravity would pull on them more than on the rest of the project, so the balloon wouldn't spin around the straw, just force the air out.

As long as you get the tape centered, I don't think it would point downward.

Maybe a hobby shop like Hobby Works or someplace for an airplane?

You probably wouldn't actually need to cut the nozzle of the balloon' date=' cept if you want style points.

The paper clips would provide ballast. Gravity would pull on them more than on the rest of the project, so the balloon wouldn't spin around the straw, just force the air out.

As long as you get the tape centered, I don't think it would point downward.

Maybe a hobby shop like Hobby Works or someplace for an airplane?[/quote']

Where and why would you put the paper clips?

@Phi: Where would you cut it, if the balloon is going to the right? To the right of the knot? Would that reaaally work? @_@