A lake monster in Lake Erie?

herpguy

You'd think so, but in my experience alga tends to be weighed down and runs against[/i'] something making a fairly smooth surface. Not all the time mind you, but often enough.

That's true, but look at the "head" of the thing in the picture, part of it dips down. So the water (with the algae) would gather at the dipped area and hang off the edge...right?

That's true, but look at the "head" of the thing in the picture, part of it dips down. So the water (with the algae) would gather at the dipped area and hang off the edge...right?
Maybe, maybe not. I've seen some lighter mosses cling ins some wierd ways. Really, it's just impossible to tell yes or no from this one. (this one meaning moss, and maybe not impossible so much as difficult)

Maybe, maybe not. I've seen some lighter mosses cling ins some wierd ways. Really, it's just impossible to tell yes or no from this one. (this one meaning moss, and maybe not impossible so much as difficult[/b'])

Yeah, I'll stop arguing that. There's really no point.

hello

though quite improbable it does remind me somewhat of the tail of a whale as it is preparing to submerge. one fluke lying flat near the surface of the water (the hump). the second up and having its tip folded downwards, viewed from the edge accounting for the thinness and neck like appearance. also the white spot does look a bit like barnacle growth.

unlikely but stranger things happen.

mr d

hello

though quite improbable it does remind me somewhat of the tail of a whale as it is preparing to submerge. one fluke lying flat near the surface of the water (the hump). the second up and having its tip folded downwards' date=' viewed from the edge accounting for the thinness and neck like appearance. also the white spot does look a bit like barnacle growth.

unlikely but stranger things happen.

mr d[/quote']

Eh.. looks like poor photoshop to me.

I did notice that it did look like a tail curving up over the surface while I was trying to see whether or not it looked like a sturgeon, and it would certainly have to belong to a new species of marine creature to resemble the photo, but even so, the "neck" looks... lumpy to me.

I did notice that it did look like a tail curving up over the surface while I was trying to see whether or not it looked like a sturgeon, and it would certainly have to belong to a new species of marine creature to resemble the photo, but even so, the "neck" looks... lumpy[/i'] to me.

I think I see why you say the neck looks lumpy. There looks like there is a glitch in the photo. Notice that it makes a sharp turn.

If that isn't what you meant, then remember that animals use camouflage in some weird ways. For example, some seahorses grow bumps and other things to blend in with their surroundings. Maybe Champ did the same thing.

Pygmy-Seahorse.jpg

Those Pygmy seahorses are probably the cutest fish on the planet :embarass:

And I agree that it could be like you say. I'd be interested to see an assymetrical species of that size. Based on what the photo shows, if it were a real creature, it'd certainyl be unlike anything we know now.