Whats your favourite Fractal set?

RyanJ

Whats your favourite fractal set / type?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Whats your favourite fractal set / type?

• Cantor Set
    • Cantor Function
    • Koch Snowflake
    • Cesaro Fractal
    • Mandelbrot Set
    • Julia Set
    • Lévy Fractal
    • Pythagoras Tree
    • Other (Please Tell Us)

Come on people let the votes fly! One of the most fascinating things in mathematics to me, fractals. The real question is what set are your favourite?

If you like link to any examples on the net or post your own, its all good :)

Here is an example of my favourite made with Ultra Fractal:

http://standards.spiralmindsinc.com/Personal/Images/fav.png

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Koch Snowflake. And not just cause it sounds like really cold genitalia, i think it looks cool. i remember trying to draw it as far as possible when i was younger and didn't understand the mathematical principles behind it. now, i'm older and don't understand the mathematical principles behind it.

Koch Snowflake. And not just cause it sounds like really cold genitalia, i think it looks cool. i remember trying to draw it as far as possible when i was younger and didn't understand the mathematical principles behind it. now, i'm older and don't understand the mathematical principles behind it.

OK honestly I can't think of a fratal I don't like... Fractals are just amazing things... snowflakes are nice too :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Is there a link where we can look at and compare all these different types of fractals, and how they're made, before we make up our mind?

I've only heard of the Mandelbrot one, so I can't really offer a fair opinion until I've seen the others...

Is there a link where we can look at and compare all these different types of fractals' date=' and how they're made, before we make up our mind?

I've only heard of the Mandelbrot one, so I can't really offer a fair opinion until I've seen the others...[/quote']

Hmm, good question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractals

http://blog.yukonho.com/article.php?id=71

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Fractal.html

And Google images should provide enough for you :)

If not post back and I'll post more links - or get a generator and try yourself :D

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I can not honestly say i have seen many fractals, and the good ones (aka:not radically over-accentuated with colour) are hard to find. Though i do like the exhibit of teh "buddah" fractal in Wikipedia. And the "pythagorous tree" fractal generally creates a pretty nice image as well. :)

Barnsley fractals

From Fractals Everywhere by Michael Barnsley

It appears to be a set of the common fractals Sierpinski, Koch, and Castle though I have not yet found any Dragons ;)

The strange thing is I never find it in any fractal generator programs as standard, I have always had to create the formula myself, and it's a simple enough formula.

Here's the formula if anyone wants to investigate it.

IF (real(z) < 0)

z = (z+1)/conj(Pixel)

ELSE

z = (z-1)/Pixel

Here's the full thing:-

Barnsley01.gif

Here's a zoom:-

Barnsley02.gif

Very cellular and organic looking I think.

I have made some wonderful variations on it.

Barnsley/Mandelbrot hybrids I call them.

Here's one:-

VictorianOctopus.jpg

I call it the Victorian Octopus, Sepia Squid or Budda on a Paisley Flying Carpet (can you see it?)