Balloon Distancer?

Anjruu

My friend and I are doing a physics project where we need to design and build a car that will travel the maximum distance powered by a party balloon, as in by the force applied by the air coming out from the hole. The maximum weight is one kilogram.

The problem is, we cannot decide to minimize or maximize weight. I think there are good arguments for both sides. For the less weight, the force of the balloon has more effect when the balloon still has air inside of it, when it is still applying force, but after it runs out of air, it quickly slows down because of lack of momentum. With greater mass, it is the opposite. We were wondering which would be the best course to take.

-Anjruu

If you have to let go of your car at one point, and not allowed to touch it while it is in motion. Well, I did a similiar project at DAL (Dalhousie University) for enterainment. I recommend you to take many balloons as you can, and join it to straws, and get all the straws to join together. Then, the air from the balloons would blow out a specific hole and it should give you the maximum power projection. Also, make sure the car's wheels are very lubractive, as if there almost is no friction.

You might also experiment witht the width of the straw opening for maximum thrust (this can be done with optimization calculus if you know how to do.) I think the mass may depend on the distance you are trying to get it to go. Just experiment around. 1 kilo may be unrealistic for a balloon powered car depending on how big your balloon is.

Read the rules very carefully.

For example, if they dont say how you should inflate the balloon(s), use hydrogen and glue on 4 token wheels, hey presto, balloon car.

Use a "sausage " balloon, put inside a lightweight frame with wings, plus token wheels.......flying rocket propelled car.

Keep weight to minimum, that will be paramount.

A fully inflated balloon has large surface area, drag will be your enemy. Long thin balloons best. Depending how you restrict the orifice, you might get a very amusing farty noise. Pretend it is a pulsejet

Read the rules very carefully.

For example' date=' if they dont say how you should inflate the balloon(s), use hydrogen and glue on 4 token wheels, hey presto, balloon car.

Use a "sausage " balloon, put inside a lightweight frame with wings, plus token wheels.......flying rocket propelled car.

Keep weight to minimum, that will be paramount.

A fully inflated balloon has large surface area, drag will be your enemy. Long thin balloons best. Depending how you restrict the orifice, you might get a very amusing farty noise. Pretend it is a pulsejet[/quote']

I like the hyrdogen part. :D

Its a shame, but you can only use one "standered 12 inch party balloon," and you have to blow it up on site with air, so no haydrogen or sasuage balloons, but the straw idea is cool, thanks.

Weight to a minimum then, gcol? Ok, thanks.