Smoking and Intelligence

Oh please. Non-smokers can train themselves to relax during an exam. That is, if you study enough to be confident enough to not be so nervous.

I didn't say they couldn't - I was just throwing some ideas in response to the findings YT2095 had heard about. There's obviously something in it...I'm confused as much as anyone, as to why smokers would achieve better results.

I didn't say they couldn't - I was just throwing some ideas in response to the findings YT2095 had heard about. There's obviously something in it...I'm confused as much as anyone, as to why smokers would achieve better results.

of course, it could just be mere correlation.

Cigarette smoke contains stimulants and does not "relax" you; rather it satisfies your addiction which gives the illusion of relaxing while it is only squelching an anxiety which wouldn't be there to begin with.

Didn't Einstein smoke a pipe. It didn't seem to bother him. Most of those studies are there to support political correctness. I don't fully trust any study that is even partially motivated by politics. Those studies are for entertainment purposes and are as trustworthy as a politian's promises.

• 1 month later...
What is Caramacs? I looked in the dictionary, but couldn't find anything, so I assume it's a name brand of something. What is it?

Caramac (brand name) is like a cross between chocolate and caramel. It's actually wierd stuff come to think of it. It is not the chocolate covered stuff someone else mentioned - I think that's a dime bar!

Cigarette smoke contains stimulants and does not "relax" you; rather it satisfies your addiction which gives the illusion of relaxing while it is only squelching an anxiety which wouldn't be there to begin with.

True nicotine is a stimulant but it is also known as a depressant at the same time. Although the effect of satisfying your cravings would be significant, the neurological changes which occur when nicotine is absorbed e.g. release of dopamine, would also be relaxing