Why do People take Drugs ?

YT2095

mmm...in america I'd say its more for entertainment value/peer pressure.

I can't say that its all due to peer pressure, but at least some of it can be attributed to that, especially early teens. However, word of mouth always has positive things to say about drugs, and thus, its something to try or do. It does bring physical stimulation for most, and thats probably another reason they keep going back.

I'd say its a lot of factors, it can'tbe narrowed down to one single cause. More than likely its a combination of social pressures, social class (probably has more to do with which drug), personal and home life, etc.

From a social standpoint with a spiritual aspect I can see some reasoning behind it, "the peace pipe" or Peyote cactus rituals, or even licking certain frogs etc... on a vision quest, makes some sense.

That`s about as far as I can get my head around it :)

sorry didn`t see the bottom in #9 when I read it.

well I supose "scared" per se maybe the wrong word, but having tried MANY different sorts just as many years ago, it seems I`m luckily or UNlucky enough to be just one of those people that doesn`t take to them very well, in fact I`ve never had a good experience on one yet, and most seem an utter waste of time (personaly speaking).

Beer is about as good as any "drug" gets for me, unless you count a strong black Coffee in the morning and a few cigs :)

But... that`s not the reasoning behind my question, it`s in no way rellated to me. it IS rellated to the observations I`ve made in my local area. a for instance would be going to evening college a week ago, and seeing a kid outside my front door with the tin foil tube in his mouth and a wrap of what I found out to be Heroin when I questioned him with a lighter underneath it!

after I told him the dangers and that he can do better things with his life (yeah yeah, the whole lecture from an old phuker). I got downstairs and into the car, and was almost in tears for the dude.

there, that should about sum it up.

Most people who use drugs believe that drugs do not have a negative impact on their life. There's a huge difference between a recreational occaisonal user and a junkie, and alot of people actually can handle occaisonal use without turning into a junkie.

In the crazy way people are brought up in the world, we drag along a lot of garbage ideas of our true natures. Sometimes it may be in the form of strong inhibitions. It probably isn't healthy to remove the inhibition but I think it sometimes helps to take the edge off them. The problem is that the same people can't stop at an optimal dosage.

The spiritual search is another good reason as you suggested and may help some people but we've all heard the rantings of those who couldn't stop at an optimal dose and got way too close to "God".

I've got nothing against drugs but I think people still don't have enough self control to self medicate and so are better off satisfied being nerdy productive people.

Just aman

As a "drug user" I think I can add my opinion to the thread.

I took certain drugs because I was curious and I was with people who were curious also. As for becoming a junkie, only one "drug" stuck with my body but I dont see it as a problem. I can go to work and maintain a life, but at the end of the night while I'm relaxing I do like to smoke some marijuana and zone out for a little bit. However I do feel like I need it to relax.