Bendy Metal

adsl1981

Hello,

Thanks for the replys to my other question ! Anyway im interested in finding a bendy metal. I needs to take about 5-8 Kgs of weight and needs to be a long flexy rod. It needs to be bent in any position and hold that position untill its moved again ! ?

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks a lot

Hello' date='

Thanks for the replys to my other question ! Anyway im interested in finding a bendy metal. I needs to take about 5-8 Kgs of weight and needs to be a long flexy rod. It needs to be bent in any position and hold that position untill its moved again ! ?

Does anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks a lot[/quote']

Well, it would probably be an alloy.

There are metals that are soft but some will probably be too sory... I'd bet it would have Gallium or something close too it in there. A metal called Woods metal melts if you put it in hot water so I'm shure something like what your looking for exists but I can't think of a name from the top of my head.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

It's not the alloy as much as it's the state. Just about any metal is soft in the annealed state, and will do what you ask - until the joint becomes work-hardened, and breaks.

For your application you should be looking for a half-inch rod of 2024 aluminium in the T-0 temper.

Hi,

No it cant be heated and needs to be bent in room temperature using hands !

You know you get those desktop lights and you can bend then im sort of looking for that sort of thing but needs to take a bit more weight . Im thinking of a bendy peice of metal instead

Thanks

Cooper is more likely if you want to bend it with your hands. I have taken welding course in high school, and I used heat to bend metals to varies of shapes. Trust me, if you want your metal to be strong enough to carry 5 to 8 kg, then you could use little of heat or a bendable machine to bend the rod.

There is new metal research that is making alloys (I think a steel mix). But it's different. When you throw it in hot water is snaps immediately back into place. There also making frames for eye glasses out of the same thing.

shigg, I wouldn't bend whatever you bend too much. The stress and fatigue will make it snap.

There is new metal research that is making alloys (I think a steel mix). But it's different. When you throw it in hot water is snaps immediately back into place. There also making frames for eye glasses out of the same thing.

I saw this somewhere. It was awesome - the metal started as a spring and then a guy bent it to a bendy line. He used a blow dryer and it went back to the spring. I'm not sure how sturdy the alloy is though or if you can even buy it.