Incredible Amount of Heat?

EverCurious

I understand that there are blast furnaces and electric arc furnaces, but is it possible to generate an incredibly intense amount of heat (1500 degrees C) within a short period of time? Flash heating?

I've considered the usage of thermite, but I have no other idea.

It all depends on how big a chamber you want this to happen in. There is a cleanroom device used at my university. It is called a Rapid Thermal Processer (RTP) or Rapid Thermal Annealer (RTA).

The chamber is made small enough to encompass small wafers. This might also be a technological consideration. Nonetheless, the device can ramp at 80-100 C/s.

I have used a rapid thermal annealer to process silicon. This particular furnace used hallogen lamps to heat a small volume very quickly. The fastest and most intense heat treatments I put my samples through is going from room temperature to 1000C in 5 seconds. The sample can remain at that temperature for anything from a few seconds to a few minutes. The system the cools down to about 200C in about 1 minute or two, where it is safe to open again. I know that the system is capable of reaching 1410C (the melting point of silicon) because on a bad run, the thermocouple (temperature sensor) broke resulting in a melted sample, although the highest temperature you can program in this particular furnace is 1100C.

If you want more information on different furnaces like this try a search for "rapid thermal annealer" in google.

Hi.

You say "...an incredible amount of heat... 1500 degrees C... " (in an instant)

That is not heat. That is temperature.

Yes, it is done every day, millions of times. You too : Turn on a light bulb.

I do not know exactly the temperature, but an halogen lamp filament should be very close if not beyond 1500 C.

A turntable needle also does get that hot. Fast. But its MASS is small, which means its amount of HEAT is too.

Miguel

my mistake, i am well aware of the amount of temperature that a common household bulb can genearte. I was seeking knowledge that I did not know about.

Does anyone think high frequency radio waves could be capable of generating 1500 or more C?

Hi.

A turntable needle also does get that hot. Fast. But its MASS is small' date=' which means its amount of HEAT is too.

[/quote']

I don't believe that.

I have had records melt outside on a hot day. I think if the needle reached that temperature, your records would be destroyed after you played them like twice.

good point but i think its possible to calculate the amount of heat generated upon the tip of the needle, i wouldn't mind showing you the mathematics but i'm swamped with work right now

Does anyone think high frequency radio waves can generate 2000 degrees C?

Although theoretically, you can transfer energy with radio waves, in practice it would be difficult and it will depend on what you are trying to heat. For example, microwaves heat foods fast because they are emitted at a particular wavelength that is easily absorbed by water, but microwaves are not as good for heating anything that doesn't contain water. It might be easier to make suggestions if you would tell us what you are trying to heat, and how much of it.

Hi Neonblack.

The very hot stylus playing a phonograph record touches a location on the vinyl so briefly, that does not burn it. Like passing your hand over a candle flame.

The speed at which the record groove passes, does not give a chance to melt. But repeated play does show the wear effect. That is one of the reasons records were changed from original 78 rpm to 33.3 To reduce stylus temperature. I think a very focused laser thermometer could read it, if can be properly aimed.

Evercurious : I would really like to enjoy your calculations whenever you have the opportunity.

For the radio waves, I have seen insulators burned at the base of ~100W mistuned antennas. Put some aluminum foil confetti in a microwave oven and if you can measure the temperature, you will have your answer.

Or put a junk CD held vertical inside a microwave oven for 3 seconds and enjoy the show...

Miguel