Puzzle

NPK

I don't know if there is an answer to this...just see if you can think of an ingenious solution! :cool:

You want to know your weight, but you only have a set of electronic kitchen scales that only weighs items up to 5 kilograms. How do you use these scales to determine your weight?

One scale is enough.

First you need to buy a boat. Those wooden 1 person boats that sink very easily.

Stand on the boat. Mark how deep the boat went into the water (draw a line).

Get out. Start putting rocks (small ones, or at least ones that are less than 5 kilos) in.

Put more rocks until the boat sinks to the line you just drew.

Weigh all the rocks on scale. Add. :D

Or we could do one more thing.

Put the guy and the weighing scale completely in a liquid(assume the scale is water proof) with density such that the scale reads less than 4.9 .

Then by laws of buoyancy we could easily calculate the weight like weight of liquid=actual weight - weight lost (or something like that, I'm feeling sleepy)

Or just go to a store and look out for their exchange schemes where we've got proper weighing scales.

Or go to a person with proper weighing scales and say, "Sir, I've got a nice kitchen weighing scale. I would you give it to you if you would allow me to check my weight on your weighing scale." All problem solved, plain and simple.

I don't know if there is an answer to this...just see if you can think of an ingenious solution! :cool:

You want to know your weight' date=' but you only have [b']a set of electronic kitchen scales that only weighs items up to 5 kilograms.[/b] How do you use these scales to determine your weight?

A set of Scales More than 1.

maybe the most (gulp!) practical solution ever deviced is this:

1. go up in a skydiving airplane

2. Take a parachute, and a jet pack(just in case, you never know)

3. Jump out of the plane.

4. Using cheat codes on the jetpack for unlimited fuel, get so much thrust such that your downward(yes, downward not upward) acceleration ranges from 0.00000000001 to 1 less than the standard 9.81 (acceleration needed may vary from person to person)

5. With the weighing scale above you(you brought it, didn't you?) i.e. on your head you get the reading.

6. Land on the ground(safety is optional), and give the reading to a guy who knows physics and ask him the answer.

Tada, you've found out your weight in 6 easy-to-follow steps.

My answers, in no particular order:

1) Use a see-saw. Stand on one end and fill the other end with small objects that weigh less than 5kg. When the see-saw balances, take the weights off and weigh them invidually on the scale then add them up to get your mass.

2) Hang yourself from a device that measures force. Read off the force and divide it by gravity to get your mass.

3) Take your kitchen scale on a space ship and land on a low gravity planet. Weigh yourself then divide by the planets gravitational field and multiply by Earth's.

4) Find a group of weight lifters and ask them to bench press you. If one of them only just manages to do it ask him what his max lift is = your mass.

You could also use fluid displacement as others have said.