How do you guys create a random number?

reverse

How do you guys create a random number? ..and ensure that a number is truly random.

By that I mean for example:

a set of dice should be predictable if all the physical variables are calculated.

So that would make dice not truly random.

Well if you could actually predict all the physical aspects of a die then well done you.

When it comes to computers it's often just some function based on the current time.

If you want true randomness then Quantum Mechanics can help but that isn't exactly practical.

random number generators generates pseudorandom numbers

I can't think of any way to create truly random numbers (as you define it, because dice aren't random enough I guess) other than with quantum mechanics of some sort.

In my programming class in school we learned how the random numbers were just divisions by specified amounts of the time of the computer - which has about 7 decimal points if I remember correctly (these were old computers, I don't know if that matters). Even computers cannot yet create complete randomness.

another Truly random generator method would be to use a white noise generator and then convert this signal with an A to D converter.

the noise is made by electrons crossing the depletion zone of a PN junction, there no "Pattern" to it.

• 4 weeks later...