Polymorphic particles and anti-matter brothers

YT2095

Hi,

Yes, it possibly must. Because if we have anti-neutrinos, then we also have anti-tau, anti-muon and positron neutrino.

Another extra fact. Many scientists during the mid 1950s to 1970's were awestruck when they could not decipher or observe neutrinos from the Sun. That was because they did not know the existence of many other types of neutrinos. Only in the 1980's did they know that when the neutrinos from the Sun escaped its surface they automatically got converted to another type and escaped the surface. Hence, they could not decipher that particle to be a neutrino. That is how the various neutrinos were born.

gagsrcool

Yes - every particle has it's antiparticle.

The actual names are tau antineutrino, muon antineutrino & electron antineutrino.

And seeing as we're on 'extra facts' (this was my sig a while back):

Neutrinos interact so weakly with matter (only via weak and gravity forces) it would take one lightyear (10^16 meters) of lead to block half the number of neutrinos from passing through it.

It is a thought experiment designed to show that particles which only interact via the weak and gravitational forces are very very unlikely to interact with anything.

Keywords: thought' date=' experiment

:)[/quote']

Just because it's a thought experiment doesn't mean you can stop thinking halfway through and ignore the calapse :P

well technically a block of lead this size would collapse into a supermassive blackhole

It would? Why must the lead collapse? I'd be interested in seeing your calculation/reasoning that brings about that conclusion.

this is going WAY Off Topic !

my question is this, If you recon that the exact same happens in the Anti-matter "World", what would occur when 2 neutrinos mets met in an anti-matter anihilation if each had a phase variance?

Neutrinos only interact via the weak force, which is very short ranged, so I don't think it's easy to study in the lab. I think the reaction happens in some extreme stellar environments, though, and you can get other particle/antiparticle pairs (depending on energy) or a pair of photons. Not sure what you mean by phase variance in this context.

I think he means the something like the matter neutrino is in the muon state and the animatter electron is in the anti-tau state. if this were the case i would imagine that they would not annihilate.

Just looked up the masses of neutrinos. they all have different masses so am i right in thinking that they speed up an slow down as they change states?

IA, that`s exactly what I meant :)

would there be any charge/parity differences between say a Muon neutrino and say an antimatter Tau neutrino?

if both matter and anti-matter particles are in the same oscillation phase, 2 x electron or Tau or muon, then I should imagine the anihilation to be complete, but with a phase difference of state what would happen?

edit: I just found this: http://physics.bu.edu/ATLAS/guide/anti-matter.html if you look at the chart it`ll show a few examples, but what I want to know is the Neutrino version of this when it meets an Anti-Neutrino. and more specificly if their particle osscilations are out of phase (one Muon and one Tau for instance).

what`s the result? I`m guessing there would 3 different results with this combination of 1,2 1,3 and 2,3 neutrino types, possibly 6 with reversal of matter anti-matter combos.

They would, or rather could, still annihilate as long as they are not orthogonal. The vertex where they annihilate would project the 'mass eigenstate' (a state of definite mass in which the neutrino propagates) onto the 'flavor eigenstate' which is either electron, muon or tau neutrino.

If neutrino 1 is 100% electron-neutrino and neutrino 2 is 100% muon-neutrino, then they would not be able to annihilate.

But if neutrino 1 is a fraction x of electron-neutrino and neutrino 2 is a fraction y of muon-neutrino, then the probability of annihilation would be x2y2 times the probability of two pure electron-nuetrinos annihilating.

(The probabilities come about because it is quantum mechanical. The interaction vertex is like a measurement in that it collapses the neutrinos into definite flavour states. If it is in a state of 100% e-neutrino then it can't collapse any further, but if it is 50% electron and 50% muon neutrinos, then 50% of the time it will collapse into a pure electron neutrino and 50% of the time inot a pur muon neutrino.)