Stupid question, but I need to know, Inverters

Kylonicus

How can I build an Inverter?

I have seen schematics, but I am currently unable to read schematics effectively, and I find them very confusing.

Is it possible to build an inverter with just copper wire and something like iron?

Your help would be most appreciated.

A thank you in advance

Thank you for your assistance.

By inverter I assume you mean a device to take low volts dc and output higher volts ac. You could not build an inverter with the components you have. Also it may be hazardous to try on your own without learning a little more first. If you wish to build one now I would suggest getting a diagram then get it checked to make sure it will perform as you wish it to. Make sure the diagram lists component part numbers and the pin names. You could then build by ordering the correct parts and just follow the diagram but, you must learn enough to recognise the hazards or get help before you start construction.:)

the principal`s quite simple for an inverter, it`s based around a step-up transformer. the transformers we mostly see in everyday life are step=down sorts, they take our 240Vac mains and drop the voltage down to say 12 Vac.

if you were to to put in 12Vac INTO it you`de roughly get 240Vac back out the other side too.

this comes at a trade-off where current gets converted to voltage (as an over simplified way to look at it).

essentialy you need an oscilator with a fixed Time base (50Hz UK).

that time base turns a transistor on an off at a fixed rate, when in the ON part of the cycle it allows high current to pass into the primary coil of the step-up transformer, which induces an electromagnetic field, that then gets picked up by the many widings of the secondary coil and passed out as your "Mains" electricity.

so as you can see it`s essential building blocks are few and quite simple, your Time base, your power transistor(s) and your step-up transformer ;)

Inverters convert (usually) 12 volts to 110 Vac or 240 Vac.

The method is to switch the 12 volt supply on and off constantly through the primary of a transformer so that the secondary recieves around 110 volts ac.

It's efficient to use transistors to do the job of the switching.

Older inverters used a relay to accomplish the switching.

Older inverters used only copper and iron to accomplish the switching but were not efficient anyway. Nevertheless they did the job.

Yes, you can use only copper and iron to make an inverter. But why?

Hi.

If you only have wire and a piece of iron; and cannot read schematics, forget about building an inverter.

Go to a computer service center and politely ask for a discarded Uninterruptible Power Supply UPS. They are usually discarded when batteries fail, but all the guts still may work.

The guts are exactly what you want: an inverter.

Miguel

Yep, old UPS's are a good source of inverter. Thanks EXTERNET for mentioning it.

UPS:

110 Vac in, convert to 12 V dc to charge the batteries, convert from 12 Vdc to 110 Vac to supply the PC with power.

Some PC emergency supplies do this (they are not UPS's):

110 Vac in. Convert to 12 Vdc to charge batteries. 110 Vac from the input is sent to the output to supply the PC with power. When the input 110 Vac stops, the batteries supply the power to the inverter to produce 110 Vac.

It's usually the battery that fails in a UPS. They are high quality batteries. Remove them and run a direct connection out to the 12 volt source.