In need of a logo and some volunteers

Cap'n Refsmmat

I'm in the process of assembling and getting ready WiSci, a science wiki (sponsored by SFN) for SFN users to participate in. I'm looking for volunteers to help get the policy and a few articles together. PM me or post here if you'd like to help.

Also, I'm looking for a logo for WiSci. It should be something fitting the MediaWiki default theme (the theme you see on Wikipedia) and be around 135 by 155 pixels. Preferably something sciency like the SFN logo.

That looks great! Just a few suggestions:

1. Make the background transparent instead of white (you'll have to save it as png instead of jpeg)
  2. Perhaps lighten it up a bit... the contrast between the bright white in the center and the dark blue outside isn't good for a logo
  3. Include the text "WiSci" in it somewhere

Looking good! If anybody else has an idea, feel free to pitch it in. I have no specific requirements, just be creative and make it look good. Nothing excessively bright or dark (to fit in with MediaWiki) and you should be fine.

It's good, Meti! I'll wait for a few more candidates before putting it up, though.

Isn't it simpler just to work on wikipedia instead ?

The idea is to create a more detailed set of articles than Wikipedia, and also to host content useful to SFN (member guides, help pages, etc).

Isn't it simpler just to work on wikipedia instead ?

Wikipedia is suffering from the tragedy of the commons. It has become a target for kooks and a soapbox for those with an agenda. Good editors that were manning the barricades are being overwhelmed and dropping out faster than they can be replaced.

I will gladly input to the policy process at this new effort, but you should all know where I'm comming from.

Yes, I made it myself; not quite from scratch. The "star-like" bright shape in the middle is based on a photograph I took; I then edited it in Photoshop to adjust the colors, brightness, and other elements. The "Rings" were rendered in Bryce 5, simple 3d; with a bright light in the middle to help establish the 2d photo as a 3d element in the finished piece. The shiny "sphere" effect was created in Photoshop, rather than in an actual 3d application. All of the individual components, including the text, were compiled in Photoshop. So, I guess you could say that I did make it from scratch. :)