Creating gravity?

YT2095

it is said that the faster a body moves the more mass it "aquires".

since the more massive a body is the greater it`s gravity, if you were to fire a bullet for instance in space at near the speed of light and past a grain of rice say only a few mms away, would the rice be pulled towards where the bullet was when it passed?

Hi,

Yes it surely would. The reason is that as velocity reaches speed of light, mass increases. Hence, when the velocity of the bullet is near the speed of light, its mass nears infinity and so curving space-time. In fact, I believe it would affect the Earth itself!

gagsrcool

although it`s sort of been convered in those thread and seems quite similar, I`m after something a little different with my line of questioning, I`m not so much interested in the relativity side of things at all, a yes or no answer would be just fine to my initial question scenario, I`m interested in the nature of Gravity itself, what causes it? where it actualy comes from? and so forth.

the part about near lightspeed is just used as an arbitrary extreme example of velocity :)

this thread`s not about relativity in the way the others are.

I`ve been pondering Gravity itself, and have had thoughts about this so called "graviton" particle, I`m not entirely convinced there is such a beasty, unless it has some VERY unusual properties!

in continuance of my thought train, I`ve come up with a series of further ideas that all seem to fit together quite nicely.

what if "Gravity" were an Illusion, giving the Apearance of being an "Atractive" force only, what if there were no such thing as an "Atractive force" but only a Pushing or Positive force?

and that it`s varying degrees of force or density that give rise to this effect, the net difference between energies, but all energies being in the Positive.

the photon is the only thing directly unaffected by gravity or any "Pushing force" it`s the only thing that can travel at C, it also needs velocity to exist, AND it has no mass.

matter is almost entirely opposite, it has mass, it can`t travel at C, and is affected by pushing forces.

electrons have very little mass also, and they have to move extremely fast also.

it seems that the smaller the particle the faster it has to move (or greater velocity it requires) to exist.

if everything in the universe is in the Positive (emiting outwards not "attracting") which I think maybe the case, then existance or reality has to be a function of Velocity.

and might explain why no Absolutes can actualy be attained, like Absolute Zero, or Absolute Motion, or even a perfect Vacuum etc...

could it be that Mass makes Velocity "less dense" like a bubble under water will rise to where it is also less dense, we will be pushed down to earth as it`s least velocity dense or maybe energy dense would be a better wording?

the ideas are all a bit disjointed at the moment, and probably not worded at all well or in order, it`s just a few ideas I`m working on as a way to try and make sense of things.

temporarily, I`m considering along the lines that, atractive forces don`t exist, there`s only Pushing forces.

Existance of everything is a function of Velocity and motion.

and that only infinate mass can remain motionless, as only Zero mass can attain C, and that everything inbetween is on a sliding scale relative to one or the other contingent, but ALWAYS in the positive (pushing not Pulling).

in addition, as a furtherance, these ideas lead me to beleive there`s possibly no such thing as gravity at all, only Velocity, that all matter needs to be in motion to exist, that if matter were to ramain entirely Motionless and free of all energy it not only wouldn`t exhibit any gravity, but would also cease to exist, and that matter trying to aproach C is atempting to "Over Exist" or become "Hyper-real" (for wants of a better word).

We just had a thread on this. The relevant quantity is rest mass; translational kinetic energy does not change this value.

Here' date=' and an earlier one

I made an argument (apparently not convincingly, however noone attempted to refute it) in the more recent thread that translational kinetic energy would effect an additional gravitational force.

Without rehashing my argument let me ask this: Is the rest mass of a hydrogen atom, that contains only one proton and one electron, the sum of the rest masses of the electron and proton? Or is there an additional term due to the relativistic mass of the electron wrt the proton?