instructions

herpguy

Follow the instructions:

(if they seem vague to you just do what you think is right)

1. Read every direction before you start.

2. Take a sheet of paper.

3. Write your name in the top left corner of the paper.

4. Take scissors and cut a circle in the middle of the paper.

5. Write your name anywhere on the circle.

6. Scribble out your name on both the sheet of paper and the circle.

7. Write your favorite number on the back of the circle.

8. Multiply that number by two and write it below the first number you wrote.

9. Devide your new number by three and write the quotient below both other numbers.

10. If your newest number is between 1 and 100, draw a smiley face on the sheet of paper around where the circle should be, if it is not, skip this direction and move on.

11. If your number is not between 1 and 100, write the first thing that comes to your mind on the circle whereever there is room when you read, "Pickle!" "Pickle!" If your number is between 1 and 100, skip this direction and move on.

12. Get up and stretch your legs.

13. Sit down again.

14. Take a new sheet of paper.

15. Only do numbers 1 and 15.

If you didn't follow the first direction, don't feel bad. 50% of adults don't.

• 4 months later...

i did that one in 3rd grade.

i read all of the directions, including the last one that said to skip the other directions.

but that one was last on the list, which meant that i was to follow it last. i was confused because looking at it that way, that means i'm supposed to do everything there, then once i'm done with all that, i'm supposed to not do it.

meaning, only follow numbers 1 and 15. but that is number 15, which means you're not supposed to follow it until you've done numbers 1-14 get to it in the list.

i ended up doing 1-14, because i didn't have anything else to do, and i didn't feel like being bored.

• 3 weeks later...

This reminds me of another kind of test we took at school. It was the first day back from summer vacation, and the teachers wanted us to, and I quote, "know what it feels like to be dumb again"

So, they gave us a sheet of paper flipped over. We were told that it was a basic mathematic quiz comprised of 30 simple questions involving addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. We were also told to read the instructions once flipped, and to complete this quiz within one minute.

Sounded simple enough, but once the class was told they were given a time limit, panic was already rising to finish it in time to get a decent mark (and thus, not feel 'dumb'). Not a lot of people read the instructions like I had when we were given the 'go'.

They said something like this:

/ means minus

* means divide

+ means multiply

- means add

Of course, no one really picked this up until the last second, or until we started correcting it. I was one of the few who passed.

• 1 month later...
i did that one in 3rd grade.

i read all of the directions' date=' including the last one that said to skip the other directions.

but that one was last on the list, which meant that i was to follow it last. i was confused because looking at it that way, that means i'm supposed to do everything there, then once i'm done with all that, i'm supposed to [i']not[/i] do it.

meaning, only follow numbers 1 and 15. but that is number 15, which means you're not supposed to follow it until you've done numbers 1-14 get to it in the list.

i ended up doing 1-14, because i didn't have anything else to do, and i didn't feel like being bored.

You know, you're right.

It is not a given that instruction 15 overrides all rules before it.