Does a GPS system include a compas?

Kedas

Does someone know if a GPS system also include an electronic compas or is the compas software based (2 know positions in a street one after the other)

Simple test: If you are standing somewhere with your GPS system and you turn around (on the same position) does your system notice it?

There are many, many GPS receivers one can buy. Some do include a fluxgate compass, and others have one that is software-based, and only work if you have linear motion so it can determine your direction of motion. You have to read the specs.

My GPS in my car can tell if you turn around and I am pretty sure that it is not just sensing how many turns you make, so I think it has a compass. It must have some whay of knowing which way I am pointing because it still knows which way it is pointing if I take a ferry.

Also, it cannot be using the GPS satellite to tell it (by having multiple sensors) because GPS is only accurate to 10m or so (and my car isn't that long!).

My handheld GPS unit has no compass, and simply determines your direction by your movement. It takes a while for it to realize that you're moving, but it's accurate after that. It won't recognize if you just turn around without moving from one spot.

Best way to find out is to grab it and turn around.

mine has a compass type feature N,S,E,W and degrees etc...

but also opperates in the same way as the above, you have to be moving for it to alter, keeping it in one place and just twisting it around won`t change much, a good half meter needs to be traveled for it to register.