Electrical frustation

EvoN1020v

There is no electrical section here on SFN so I figured I will just put it on the general talking forums. See, I have this problem. I have 3 utility outlets in my room. (120V of course) One outlet is occupied with my TV and my video/dvd player. The second one is occupied with my alarm clock. (That left a hole left). The third one is occupied with nothing. So whenever I have my laptop plugged in the second outlet with the alarm clock, my TV would get all wierd and fuzzy. Colour is not fusioning correctly and just messed up the screen. I became frustated, so I shutdown the laptop, and then the TV is fine. My question is do you guys have any idea what is happening here?

:confused:

it`s quite possible that the clock speed and harmonics for the laptops motherboard is "leaking" RF that coincides with the same frequencies used in the TV Color IF stages.

eitherway, it`ll need to be shielded somehow, and if it`s going down the mains then you`ll need a lowpass filter inline, sometime just wrapping the mains lead around a ferrite rod a few times can work :)

btw, this is the prefered section for electrical/electronic questions.

There is no electrical section here on SFN so I figured I will just put it on the general talking forums. See' date=' I have this problem. I have 3 utility outlets in my room. (120V of course) One outlet is occupied with my TV and my video/dvd player. The second one is occupied with my alarm clock. (That left a hole left). The third one is occupied with nothing. So whenever I have my laptop plugged in the second outlet with the alarm clock, my TV would get all wierd and fuzzy. Colour is not fusioning correctly and just messed up the screen. I became frustated, so I shutdown the laptop, and then the TV is fine. My question is do you guys have any idea what is happening here?

:confused:[/quote']Jeez EvoN1020v, It could be a ground loop, make sure the ground pin on the wall socket gets back to "earth", and that the neutral on the socket is tied to the ground pin....at the fuse/circuit breaker box.

• 3 weeks later...

.... And if you use the laptop on batteries, does the television gets interference ?

If it does, you will be chasing your tail with the wall outlets; the interference is radiofrequency emitted by the laptop and picked by the television receiver with not much to do with the electrical wiring.

Miguel

.... And if you use the laptop on batteries' date=' does the television gets interference ?

If it does, you will be chasing your tail with the wall outlets; the interference is radiofrequency emitted by the laptop and picked by the television receiver with not much to do with the electrical wiring.

Miguel[/quote']IMO, it's much easier for interference to be picked up via electrical ground loops rather than direct transmitted interference.