I am new to the forums! Allow me to introduce myself

Loki

I have been trying to find good science forums for a long time. These forums here look very promising and I'm glad I stumbled upon this site.

On to the intoduction--

I am 17 (18 on Sept 4) years old and I am starting my senior year in high school. I live in Mansfield, Texas, but I grew up in Sandy, Utah.

I'm no prodigy in math and science, but I have a deep passion for both. Most of my knowledge comes from books I read. This summer I read books like The Golden Ratio, Cosmos, A Brief History of Nearly Everything, The Elegant Universe, and a few others. I read Discover, and Astronomy magazines. This year in high school I'm taking AP Statistics, anatomy/physiology, AP Biology, AP chemistry, computer programming, and Calculus III (at University of Texas at Arlington).

In September I'm joining the Fort Worth Astronomical Society. I am trying to pursue a hobby in astronomy, and hopefully purchase a telescope. I'd like to major in Astronomy in college, but I am skeptical about it because it seems like majoring in engineering (which I would also like to do) would promise me a more stable career.

I guess I could go on, but I don't want to bore anyone.

Originally posted by atinymonkey

Hullo Loki, you little god of mischief you. :P

Hehe, oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I also have an interest in Norse Mythology :)

Originally posted by uscphysics

Don't sell out on the astronomy goal. If you obtain a degree in astrophysics, you could find a broader and more stable career than in astronomy alone. And your job would probably be as stable if not mare than in engineering. Welcome.

Thanks for the advice. I have to admit that I'm completely in the dark when it comes to majors/careers and what they have to offer. I didn't know that astrophysics was so promising. To me--and this is simply a naive notion, really--it seems as if the field of astrophysics is so abstract that all astrophysics degree holders end up in a career barely relavant. But I may be wrong. I'll look into it :)