How do we know?

LucidDreamer

I have read from a few sources that Heisenbergs (sp?) Uncertainty Principle is not a product of inadequate instrumentation, but rather a natural property of the particle. I have also read that particles don't exist as discrete separate units, but rather they only have an identity in relation to the other particles and the method of measurement. I have also read that it’s useful to view particles as processes instead of actual particles with mass. How do know these things to be true? What experiments, equations, and conceptions are important in understanding this?

Heisenburgs uncertainty principle if I recall correctly can be derived from considering the youngs two slit experiment. I'll get back to you on more info about this (on my way out atm).

Particles can be considered as waves instead of points in space this can be observed by using an electron "ray" fired at 2 slits, this displays an interfearence pattern the same as when light is fired at 2 slits in youngs two slit experiment...

Within the widely but not universally accepted Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, the uncertainty principle is taken to mean that on an elementary level, the physical universe does not exist in a deterministic form—but rather as a collection of probabilities, or potentials. For example, the pattern (probability distribution) produced by millions of photons passing through a diffraction slit can be calculated using quantum mechanics, but the exact path of each photon cannot be predicted by any known method. The Copenhagen interpretation holds that it cannot be predicted by any method.

I have read from a few sources that Heisenbergs (sp?) Uncertainty Principle is not a product of inadequate instrumentation, but rather a natural property of the particle. I have also read that particles don't exist as discrete separate units, but rather they only have an identity in relation to the other particles and the method of measurement. I have also read that it’s useful to view particles as processes instead of actual particles with mass. How do know these things to be true? What experiments, equations, and conceptions are important in understanding this?

Obviously light being our only constant is the most precise tool we have at our disposal, so yes in a sense it reflects the nature of a particle. I guess particles are better considered as energy as opposed to tiny spinning dots, probably why people have a tough job of percieving particles with no mass...me being one of them. I guess visit the CERN website, it's a wealth of information, and cross reference anything you don't understand with WIKI.

I promised myself not to post in the physics threads until I started studying next year, but there's a certain mysticism with HUP.:)