Math Competition

Dave

As some of you might remember, I used to post a few problems every week for people to solve and reply to. This forum was originally used for the purpose, but obviously that's gone to pot a bit ;)

I'd quite like to do the same thing again now we have more visitors around. I plan on holding a small competition every 2 weeks. There will be 3 questions at different levels of mathematics: high school, college and university for those interested in some of the higher maths.

What I'm really looking for is some help in gathering possible questions. I'll try and do my best to make up questions where appropriate, but sometimes I won't have the time. I'll probably use the forum this time around instead of issueing PDFs, but I'll moderate posts so that everyone can submit their entry.

Any suggestions? I'll write a proper rules list eventually :)

college and university are different levels? I say we start it by finding the integral of |x|^-|x| from -infinity to +infinity :D

even though i'm pretty sure there's no algebraic way to solve it

Well since its undefined at 0 you can't take the integral from -infinity to +infinity

I still have a couple tests from my high school Iowa State Math Competition (and a power question or two). Would you be interested in those? I mean, part of the thing about those were that you have a time limit on you, but still, they're some.... interesting questions... And I don't know the answers, but I have the questions.

EDIT:And some questions are a "you have no calculator" question...