New Web Browser

herme3

I finally found a web browser that I like better than Internet Explorer. I created it!:)

It is called TetraSurf and it works very well with all the web sites I have tested with it. It can be downloaded for free from http://www.tetrasurf.com but you will need to install a free update from Microsoft. I have the Microsoft update on the same page as the TetraSurf download. If you download TetraSurf, please let me know what you think about it.

That is, singlehandedly, the world's ugliest webbrowser. I downloaded it, seriously.

Why can't you even maximize the individual windows? Keeping them so small means it looks TERRIBLE. Nothing fits in the little windows.

If you're only viewing one site, then 3/4 of the window is WASTED. Then there's no options menu, no password manager, and 4 identical toolbars for each window.

Looks like you made it with a GUI Visual Basic maker.

What's it writen in?

Is it open source?

Does it support CSS2?

It was written in Visual Basic. It isn't open source' date=' and I'm not sure what CSS2 is. Can you please tell me a web site that uses CSS2 so I can test it?

What's so special about having many pages open? Pretty much every browser (IE included) can handle multiple pages being open.

It depends on how you use the Internet. If you just want to post messages in forums, you probably won't need multiple pages open in the same window. However, many people use multiple web sites at the same time, and it will help to have them all in the same browser. In all of the browsers that I have used, you will need to switch windows to see other web site.

Why can't you even maximize the individual windows? Keeping them so small means it looks TERRIBLE. Nothing fits in the little windows.

Yes, I would really like to add an option that allows you to maximize the individual windows. I am working on that now, and it will be available in TetraSurf version 2.

Then there's no options menu, no password manager...

TetraSurf will use all of the options that you have selected for Internet Explorer. I am working on a separate options menu for version 2.

If you just want sites in the same window then use tabs, duh. Firefox, Opera and Avant (a patch for IE) have done that for years.

Using the tabs in browsers seems pointless to me. It is the same thing as opening more than one Internet Explorer, except the tabs are in the browser instead of on the taskbar.

You can only see one web site at a time. If you are ever using a traffic exchange, or doing anything else that requires you to use more than one web site, it is very annoying to be always switching the tabs.

You can only see one web site at a time.

Even with IE, you can resize the windows to different size to fit them all shown on the screen if you want...

Honestly, I dont think your browser is very promising. I mean, can you name any appealing function it has along side the browsers like IE or FireFox has?

Even with IE, you can resize the windows to different size to fit them all shown on the screen if you want...

That doesn't work very well. Many web sites will automatically maximize or change the size of your browser. The windows in TetraSurf won't be maximized unless you maximize them.

Honestly, I dont think your browser is very promising. I mean, can you name any appealing function it has along side the browsers like IE or FireFox has?

What other features do you think I should add to TetraSurf? It works perfectly on every web site I've tested it with.

CSS2 is the same as CSS. SFN uses it, as well as most other decent websites.

Does it use Trident for rendering or did you make your own rendering engine?

Using the tabs in browsers seems pointless to me. It is the same thing as opening more than one Internet Explorer' date=' except the tabs are in the browser instead of on the taskbar.[/quote']

If you have a lot of other apps open, it can be handy to keep the taskbar clear so you can get to your apps quickly without using Window's automatic grouping thing that is very annoying.

Actually I think it uses IE's built in engine.

Did you use the built in browser object when you wrote this? Because if you did its basically IE with a different interface.

http://www.vbwm.com/articles/builder/viewer.asp?ArticleID=31

If you did use that then it does use the IE render engine so it does not support a lot of CSS correctly, a lot of CSS 2 is missing... namley 96% of it and no CSS 3 is supported. It does not recognise the xhtml file extension. The list goes on and on - your better off using the gecko rendering engine instead.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

CSS2 is the same as CSS. SFN uses it, as well as most other decent websites.

Ok, then I am sure that TetraSurf works with CSS2. SFN is one of the web sites that I have tested with TetraSurf, and it displays correctly. The only problem is the Google ad covers up the SFN logo when TetraSurf is in multiple windows mode. When you switch to full window mode, the problem is corrected.

It uses Trident.

If you have a lot of other apps open, it can be handy to keep the taskbar clear so you can get to your apps quickly without using Window's automatic grouping thing that is very annoying.

I agree. I normally don't use very many apps at the same time, so my taskbar is normally clear. However, there have been times that I was using several apps and the automatic grouping was annoying. I have it disabled on my computer.

i dont really think this can be called a browser. can i presume that your using the shdocvw.dll library, which is really just internet explorer anyway?

TetraSurf does use some settings and files of Internet Explorer, but TetraSurf is a separate browser. It does not simply load Internet Explorer four times, but it has its own user interface and navigation toolbar.

Yes. It does use the built in engine of IE. However, the browser does not use IExplorer.exe to run. The browsers run in the TetraSurf program, using the code that I wrote.

Ah, so it doesn't support CSS2.

If you did use that then it does use the IE render engine so it does not support a lot of CSS correctly, a lot of CSS 2 is missing... namley 96% of it and no CSS 3 is supported. It does not recognise the xhtml file extension. The list goes on and on - your better off using the gecko rendering engine instead.

See, SFN doesn't use nearly all of CSS2's capabilities. Try it on an advanced website, or google the Acid2 test, and you'll see more. (Firefox is still working towards Acid2 compliance, but they're getting there. IE 7 is barely any improvement over 6)

Did you use the built in browser object when you wrote this? Because if you did its basically IE with a different interface.

http://www.vbwm.com/articles/builder/viewer.asp?ArticleID=31

If you did use that then it does use the IE render engine so it does not support a lot of CSS correctly' date=' a lot of CSS 2 is missing... namley 96% of it and no CSS 3 is supported. It does not recognise the xhtml file extension. The list goes on and on - your better off using the gecko rendering engine instead.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones[/quote']

Just to clarify, Trident IS IE's built in rendering engine, that's the codename for it.

------

Hermes3, while learning any language (even *argckdfas* VB) is admirable, I think you are hyping this "browser" up a little more than it deserves.

While it might indeed be a nice exercise in learning VB or expanding your experience, not trying to be mean but I don't think it holds any weight whatsoever as a competitor to other browsers on the market, simply because as many in this thread have already stated, it is simply IE with a different look (not even that different) and being forced to have 4 panes and only 4 panes isnt really practical or in fact useful in almost all situations. Sorry if this comes off a little negative but it just seems that you are trying to market something that is simply a small VB app as far more than it is. No offense intended.

It might be better as an extention for IE/FF. Im sure that there are situations where a split-screen would be desireable, and so an extention that added split-screen functionality to either IE or FF could go down well.

It might be better as an extention for IE/FF. Im sure that there are situations where a split-screen would be desireable, and so an extention that added split-screen functionality to either IE or FF could go down well.

Good idea but I'm not quite shure how you'd do it in XUL... One reason is that in VB it uses an OCX file, I'm not even shure that Firefox's plugin language can interface with OCX files.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones