Foreign colleges and welfare.

Bio-Hazard

From what I have been told from many people overseas, there are colleges you can go to and they will pay for room, board, and clasees.

The catch is, when you are done with learning, you have to pay it all back. They get a percentage of what you make.

Is this true?

Where are these places?

What are the rules for getting this borrowed money?

Do people have to make certain grades, or just not fail?

Eh.. maybe I should have put this in education..

In Oz you can claim a form of welfare whilst a full time student. This is means tested both on you and your parents. The welfare is not a loan. In addition, you can apply a government supported place at a university. Most of the cost of the course is paid for by the government, the rest (~US$5,000 pa) is put on a no interest loan. This is essentially paid back in the form of a progressive tax on top of normal income tax. You can pay the fees (or some proportion of them) up front and get a 10% discount, and you can pay back more money than you are required to if you wish.

In Oz you can claim a form of welfare whilst a full time student. This is means tested both on you and your parents. The welfare is not a loan.

Where is Oz? Stupid question, but seeing as I'm American. Oz has a few meaning to me, a magical location being one.

Hmm, would this be Australia you speak of? T'was an Aussie that informed me of this educational system about 3-2 years ago.

Alright, what do you mean by "tested"? Do my parents have to be included in this? I hate my parents.

Being a full-time student, is one allowed to make Cs? I don't plan at making Cs whatsoever, but I'm only human, so I think... :D

Oh yeah, and also, what are the chances of me getting into Australia?

In the UK for EU citizens, the govenment pays part of your tuition fees, part of them are assessed on how much money your parents and you have. And the govenment give you an inflation only loan, the amount of this loan depends on how much money you and your parents have/earn again :|

You have to pay back the loan a certain % of your wages/month when you are earning over £15000

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this query warrants a new thread but ...

I'm a Canadian, and interested in doing a Master's, PhD or both in Germany, the Netherlands or Britain. I've found in my research that, except for the Max Planck Institute, most research is only funded for EU students and the tuition tends to be prohibitively high. Also, people have told me that it's not worth going to the EU for a PhD because EU PhDs are "worth less" than North American PhDs. Any thoughts on that?

Anyone know of any good funding organizations for Canadians wanting to go overseas? My marks are low 80s so an international NSERC is out of the question. I've read a bit about the British Council but I haven't found anything else. if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be much obliged.

Has anyone found FindAPhd.com to be useful?

My problem stems also from the fact that I can't really decide what I want to do. I'm interested in mycorrhizal symbiosis, fungal phylogenetics, fungal pathogens and fungal secondary metabolites. I've tried looking up people who are top in their field, but I haven't had much time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In Hong Kong, if you are poor enough to apply for the money-lending scheme or something like that, you can pay it back after your studying. And if you are as poor as the paupers in "The Prince and the Pauper" written by Charles Dickens, you don't even need to pay it back :)