Extreme male brain theory of autism

Posted (edited)

Is it a valid theory?

It was invented by Simon Baron Cohen and states that there are two main modes of cognition in humans - empathizing and systemizing. They're distributed normally in the population but since males are on average higher on systemizing, their right tail of the curve reaches further and hence there are more autistic males than females.

What do researchers think of it? 

Edited by Otto Kretschmer

3 hours ago, Otto Kretschmer said:

Is it a valid theory?

It was invented by Simon Baron Cohen and states that there are two main modes of cognition in humans - empathizing and systemizing. They're distributed normally in the population but since males are on average higher on systemizing, their right tail of the curve reaches further and hence there are more autistic males than females.

What do researchers think of it? 

If he thinks that then he's obviously biased, I imagine...

I've definately got a stalker... 🙄

5 hours ago, dimreepr said:

If he thinks that then he's obviously biased, I imagine...

I've definately got a stalker... 🙄

!

Moderator Note

If you aren’t going to contribute to an answer to the question, consider not posting in that thread. Strongly consider it.

By way of explanation, it's my understanding that a huge number of women go undiagnosed bc they are better at hiding the symptoms, so a study or thinking that's based on a flawed premise is therefore going to have a bias, they address the difference between a male and female brain but they can't address the true nature of autism.

I haven't been diagnosed, but I definitely fit most of the symptoms.