If artificial intelligence becomes hated by the public...

Externet

Hello all.

In a future of the A.I. development taking root, call it loss of jobs, call it unfair competition, call it any nasty effect generating aversion from the public.  How could it then be stopped from invading every aspect of lives ?  Is there a "protection switch-off" its advancement ?  Any 'way out' reverse gear ?

If not generalized to the public; but to some or personally,  is there a "switch-off" to prevent it from affecting ?  A 'change channel' or 'do not use social web sites' sort of approach ?  If profit is involved, will there be chance for A.I. to be stopped ? 

How do you see it ?  Proceed with caution, or reject it, or embrace it, or make money with it ?

21 minutes ago, Externet said:

Hello all.

In a future of the A.I. development taking root, call it loss of jobs, call it unfair competition, call it any nasty effect generating aversion from the public.  How could it then be stopped from invading every aspect of lives ?  Is there a "protection switch-off" its advancement ?  Any 'way out' reverse gear ?

If not generalized to the public; but to some or personally,  is there a "switch-off" to prevent it from affecting ?  A 'change channel' or 'do not use social web sites' sort of approach ?  If profit is involved, will there be chance for A.I. to be stopped ? 

How do you see it ?  Proceed with caution, or reject it, or embrace it, or make money with it ?

I look forward to the time it does all the hard work for us, no more zero hours contracts and it's ilk.

I see no real reason to fear the future of AI, as long as it's available for everyone to make use of it; AI maturity under that condition, will make money a pointless concept.

56 minutes ago, Externet said:

If not generalized to the public; but to some or personally,  is there a "switch-off" to prevent it from affecting ?

It's already owned by the same few people who already own everything else. And of course there is no switch-off, unless they abandon it for lack of profitability. When we reach 50% unemployment, everyone defaults on their loans and there is nobody left to buy all the goods and services, and there are no taxes left to collect, the whole economic and political structure collapses, because no provision has been made to change gradually from a debt/profit driven organization to whatever the next thing is. 

That's not likely to happen, though. Certainly, there will be riots long before then, bombings and burning of automated factories, maybe derailment of driverless freight trains, etc. Police will have to gas and shoot protesters, jail their leaders and all the usual rigamarole when the plebes get too restless. Maybe it will peter out in a cascade of financial and civil crises; maybe someone can start another war of distraction (though that one's wearing pretty transparent and can much too easily escalate to total annihilation) and deploy all the artificially intelligent weapons.

No off-switch; no public domain; no contingency plans. We just have to hope AI gets smarter than we are and takes over the helm before we run it into the iceberg. 

Edited by Peterkin

1 hour ago, Peterkin said:

It's already owned by the same few people who already own everything else. And of course there is no switch-off, unless they abandon it for lack of profitability. When we reach 50% unemployment, everyone defaults on their loans and there is nobody left to buy all the goods and services, and there are no taxes left to collect, the whole economic and political structure collapses, because no provision has been made to change gradually from a debt/profit driven organization to whatever the next thing is. 

That's not likely to happen, though. Certainly, there will be riots long before then, bombings and burning of automated factories, maybe derailment of driverless freight trains, etc. Police will have to gas and shoot protesters, jail their leaders and all the usual rigamarole when the plebes get too restless. Maybe it will peter out in a cascade of financial and civil crises; maybe someone can start another war of distraction (though that one's wearing pretty transparent and can much too easily escalate to total annihilation) and deploy all the artificially intelligent weapons.

No off-switch; no public domain; no contingency plans. We just have to hope AI gets smarter than we are and takes over the helm before we run it into the iceberg. 

What iceberg?

The future is so easy to predict when it's already happened...

23 hours ago, Externet said:

In a future of the A.I. development taking root, call it loss of jobs, call it unfair competition, call it any nasty effect generating aversion from the public.  How could it then be stopped from invading every aspect of lives ?

This question is akin to the, so called, immigration problem.

The cold hard truth is, most people are happy to see it happen bc it doesn't really affect them, and they like to 'google' on their friends when they insist, that a tomato isn't a fruit. 

You can't stop an invasion that's already happened. 

Edited by dimreepr

23 hours ago, Externet said:

Hello all.

In my humble opinion, I really do belive and want to think we will use AI for our advantage only, but who knows what humanity is gonna do with that power, me personally I'm 100% embracing AI, I don't fear of it being in every aspect of my life as long as it improves it.