consciousness

roy goodman

3 hours ago, roy goodman said:

Anyone come across a chemical explanation of consciousness which involves the uniqueness of carbon?

There are chemical-molecular theories of consciousness, but none so far are able to satisfactorily explain consciousness in all of its ramifications. That carbon is able of forming a vast number of compounds and is corelated with life on earth, does not change the fact that we do not know how matter, chemicals or the brain to that effect produces consciousness. In my opinion, replacing let’s say serotonin by carbon leaves us further behind in the debate over consciousness. If we are to pursue this discussion on a non-chemical basis, then it will have to occur elswhere than in the chemistry forum.

Note: replace serotonin by neurotransmitters in the text.

I think you're trying too big a bite there. Carbon gives rise to a very rich biochemistry, wich gives rise to homeostatic complex systems and approximate, but not exact replication thereof, which gives rise to a workable process of "improvement" (evolution), which gives rise to the possibility of projecting the external world in internal impressions of varying degree of permanence in cognitive tissue (as a great evolutionary advantage), which give rise to...[?]

Call me reductionist, but that's how it works, I think.

The chemistry of carbon is particularly suitable probably because 3D spatial arrangements with C-C covalent bonds afford much that other molecules wouldn't. Stability of the C-C bond being an obvious bonus. Carbon gives rise to a tetrahedral pattern of chemical bonds. Silicon has been proposed from time to time as an alternative, but I'm sure being further up in atomic number makes it less plausible. The chemistry and biology experts will no doubt take over and correct/expand on what I've said.

10 minutes ago, joigus said:

which gives rise to the possibility of projecting the external world in internal impressions of varying degree of permanence in cognitive tissue (as a great evolutionary advantage)

Can you expand on this idea?

i have also argued that intelligence, a half brother of consciousness, was a great evolutionary advantage.

22 minutes ago, Luc Turpin said:

Can you expand on this idea?

i have also argued that intelligence, a half brother of consciousness, was a great evolutionary advantage.

!

Moderator Note

And you have a thread for that, so we won’t be discussing it here 

4 minutes ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

And you have a thread for that, so we won’t be discussing it here 

Thank you for the precision, I will abide.

however, if I only bring up the non-material components of consciousness, am-i still able to participate in the discussion on other threads?

Pardon the pun, but I will tread carefully.

Correction , material components of consciousness only.

for example, based on your comment, my first post would be off limit, but my second one might be a bit more valid if i only want an explanation of what is being said

I would be asking question, not making comments