Strange Picture

herme3

That being said, I come down hard on the side of the skeptics about those pictures.

Why? There's nothing wrong with letting the evidence rather than preconcieved notions convince you. Thats what skepticism is all about. Ghost claims always have natural, and rather mundane explanations.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? There's nothing wrong with letting the evidence rather than preconcieved notions convince you. Thats what skepticism is all about. Ghost claims always[/i'] have natural, and rather mundane explanations.

I am completely confused by your response; I come down on the side of skeptics because those are obviously not picture of ghosts; the lights all have identical trails that are very much what one would expect from pushing down on a button on the top of the camera using slightly too low a shutter speed to compensate for the wrong film.

And no, ghosts don't alway have 'mundane' explanations...

Most people I know have a ghost story, and the people I know are pretty hard rock; the most convincing aspect of most personally reported 'sightings' is how mundane they are.

First, most 'sightings' reported to me are actually 'hearings': footsteps, chairs being sat in, door closings. I've lived in old houses [as well as newer houses], and I will testify that settling does not sound like footsteps. Most experiences are of footsteps, doors and cabinets closing, the very mundane sounds of a living house, when there is no explicable reason for the sounds.

Second, most hearings involve practical rooms; bathrooms, kitchens, and bedrooms, in that order. Romantic imagination does not tend toward ghosts that get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom; reported 'hearings' of ghost do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I got an e-mail from the person who sent me the picture. I told him your opinions and I asked him if there was anyone with candles in the area. He said this:

Tell them there was NO one at all but my wife and it was so dark that we couldn't see our hands. This picture was not fake or any light at all, this is the real thing. If you blow it up you will see rings or something that is tangible.

I still don't get why the photo was taken? If there wasn't a source of light when the photo was taken, why bother?

It was in Gettysburg. So many people get strange pictures there at night. Many people go there trying to get a strange picture with their own camera. Walking around the battlefields and graveyard at night is a major tourist attraction at Gettysburg. Even though many people do this, it is still very likely that he was the only person in the area. The battlefield is huge, and it surrounds the entire city of Gettysburg. Therefore, I believe that it was probably completely dark when he took this picture.