Puzzle for the Day

• 5 months later...

A woman goes to a company to fill out a job application.  As the secretary looks it over, she says, oh we had someone apply yesterday with the same last name, same parents, and same date of birth.  

That's my sister, said the woman.

So you are twins, said the secretary.

No, we are not, said the woman.

Explain.

19 minutes ago, TheVat said:

A woman goes to a company to fill out a job application.  As the secretary looks it over, she says, oh we had someone apply yesterday with the same last name, same parents, and same date of birth.  

Explain.

Spoiler

adopted?

1 hour ago, TheVat said:

Explain.

Spoiler

frozen embryos?

1 hour ago, Genady said:
  Reveal hidden contents

frozen embryos?

No.

This puzzle is very straightforward - no tricks, no biotech.  What is interesting is that smart and educated adults sometimes struggle with this, but often you can show it to a ten year old and they will figure it out.  And then the adult slaps their own forehead at how obvious the answer was.   

Edited by TheVat
fixt

1 minute ago, Genady said:

Does it mean day / month / year?

Yes.  Everything is just as described, without any semantic tricks or funny math or unusual marital arrangements.  Sisters, born the same day, within a few hours of each other, of the same mother and father.

Spoiler

Yes.  The usual answer is they are triplets (given those are the most common multiple births above two).  Good move, going for the dictionary.  

32 minutes ago, TheVat said:

no tricks

Not for you, but for me

Spoiler

it was a language trick (and I learned something new), because in Russian, they are all близнецы regardless of number. 

Spoiler

Ah.  That is interesting.  Then yes, the I guess puzzle would be hard to translate to Russian.  English is very specific, with a term for each possible number....triplets, quadruplets, quintuplets, etc.