fire wall

eruheru

i really dont know anything about firewalls besides that they block websites.

They do? Websites are usually not a problem because your side makes the initial request. I assume here that you are behind a firewall, such as a corporate or university firewall. I haven't seen the case of Windows' firewall causing such problems especially after SP2.

There is only 1 solution I know of if you are indeed in such a predicament.

There are many types of firewalls. Ones that block ports and allow only specific ports such as those you use to surf the web, or firewalls that sniff packets and block certain protocols for example FTP and such. More often however, you get the former. Being behind the firewall, with the only internet gateway being filtered by this very firewall, there is very little you can do to "bypass" it. You need to talk to your network administrator.

The one solution that I have is to use a proxy server. IIRC, they are called High-anonymity proxies and will allow SSL sessions. The only catch is you may need to find one that uses an port that is open from behind the firewall. You basically enter this proxy address into your IE or firefox preferences.

This will tell you about firewalls and how they work:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm

Once you've read that you will realise that firewalls monitor (block or allow) information to enter or leave a computer via the internet or a network... so how to bypass something which monitors all traffic? What do you want to do by bypassing a firewall? Is a website blocked and you want to unblock it or something?

I say that because you mentioned firewalls blocking websites... this is not their main purpose, however as you mentioned it I'm guessing that may be where the thread is going?

a firewall must allow some access to the internet, and so the best way to 'bypass' a firewall is to forse one of the programs allowed to acess the internet into doing what you want.

for example, if you want to load a program onto someones machine, then you could set up a website which exploits a security issue in internet explorer in such a way that, if the site is viewed with internet explorer, then IE is made to download something onto the PC.

this program can then do your dirty work. Of course the downloaded program wont be secured for internet acess, and so wont be able to acess the internet to communicate with you; to get round this, the program could use an exploit in IE to forse IE to send out data, or could use an exploit in your firewall to shut it down, at which point the firewall could be considered to be well and truly bypassed.

although it is most common to use exploits in web browsers to bypass firewalls, any program which the firewall allows access to the internet can be used, such as an instant messanger program such as MSN or AOL messanger, or one of the operating system programs such as the remote procedure call service (?).

Oh. in that case use a proxy, enter the ISP rather than the url, use a different browser, end/delete the process/plugin that is responsable for the filtering, accept that school is not the place to look up pr0n, etc.

I should point out that it would be easy for a school to check what youv been doing, by cheking the school-proxy's history etc, so you probably shouldnt bypass the filtering wotzit.

a firewall must allow some access to the internet
Some firewalls have a "block all traffic" option, but that would only be a temporary thing in certain circumstances, otherwise generally yes, firewalls will allow "good" programmes to connect to the internet, tricking the firewall into thinking you are "good" or have permission would bypass it, though this is quite hard to do, especially with a good, well configured firewall.

what would be the quickest and easiest way to bypass a firewall? also, if possible, one thats not easily detected.

Your own firewall? Configure it to your needs. Someone else´s firewall? Go to http://www.e-are-T3h-l33t-hackers.0rg and ask there.

My stepfather said a few weeks ago that he can´t understand why people need a driver's licence to drive a car but yet any idiot is allowed to use a computer on the internet. And as the result he demanded a psychological test before someone is allowed to use a computer. From reading several threads like this one, I´m beginning to think that maybe he wasn´t just joking.

Sry if you really only wanted to know how to configure your firewall. It´s nothing personal. But I´ve seen several "how do I bypass someone else´s system security"-threads lately and it really makes me think about how irresponsible some people act (starting denial of service attacks without even having the slightest clue about the damage being caused by that and such).

What it sounds like to me is that a firewall is blocking some basic function on his own computer, possible a windows firewall, a security program or perhaps the router. I doubt it's the router, because Eruheru and I are on the same router. (he's my brother, in case any of you didn't know that).

• 2 weeks later...