Got COVID, should I take anything?

Some days ago, I developed a fever and a severely painful sore throat. This lasted for 2-3 days and I'm now on my second day of being symptom free. I did a COVID test this morning and it came back positive.

Seeing how I now feel fine, but have a positive test result, is there anything I should be taking to treat the infection or is the recommendation to just wait? Should I take anything to reduce risk of long COVID?

I read a meta analysis of COVID guidelines and it seems there's a tremendous number of guidelines with a lot of disagreement between them, so I'm not sure what authority to consult.

From popular media, I remember hearing monoclonal antibodies as being the only (?) effective treatment. Should I get those or are they only for severe cases?

I will be 34 in a few weeks, am IgA deficient, but other than that am in good health.

1 hour ago, Alfred001 said:

2xpfizer, but a looong time ago. Two summers ago, IIRC.

Get yourself topped up with a booster. You'll have to wait a bit, seeing as you've just been infected, but keeping your booster immunisations up to date as per medical advice is by far the best thing you can do. Even then you can still expect to get covid from time to time, but far less badly unless you have some underlying condition.

There is no need for anything to deal with the infection you have now, so long as symptoms remain mild. But from my own experience (I caught the original version before any vaccines were available, and lost my sense of taste and smell for several weeks) I would advise being careful how quickly you return to full normal activities, as it can leave you fatigued for a few weeks. Do not attempt to fight through any fatigue you may experience or it will slow down your recovery.

Edited by exchemist

Besides what others have said regarding the importance of boosters, monoclonal antibodies are mostly used in more severe or high risk cases.

However, depending on where you are, they might not work anymore. Recent increases are driven by immune evasive omicron sub-lineages (e.g. BQ.* and XBB.*) against which these antibodies do not work anymore. There are also quite a few studies regarding longer term impacts on a range of health issues, including the immune system.

So if something feels off, even a while after recovery, it is worthwhile to mention to MDs the previous infection, just in case.

An update on this situation: I've been fine for a few days now, but I've developed this sensation where if I swallow or burp, I can feel a tightness around the collarbone. As if there is a narrowing or obstruction of some kind there and the spit or air has to press through a narrowing to pass.

The sensation is not strong, it doesn't interfere with my eating or breathing, I don't feel it when breathing. This started yesterday and has gotten a bit more intense today.

I figure I'll wait a few days and see what happens, but wanted to post here in case this is some kinda alarming symptom, as I know COVID is related to respiratory problems.

6 minutes ago, Alfred001 said:

An update on this situation: I've been fine for a few days now, but I've developed this sensation where if I swallow or burp, I can feel a tightness around the collarbone. As if there is a narrowing or obstruction of some kind there and the spit or air has to press through a narrowing to pass.

The sensation is not strong, it doesn't interfere with my eating or breathing, I don't feel it when breathing. This started yesterday and has gotten a bit more intense today.

I figure I'll wait a few days and see what happens, but wanted to post here in case this is some kinda alarming symptom, as I know COVID is related to respiratory problems.

You can get inflammation in your larnyx, pharynx etc. with colds, as these viruses make the circuit of one's respiratory mucous membranes, so it could just be that. I have not heard of anything specific to covid of that nature. I expect it will go away. But it's a funny virus so you are wise to stay alert.