Why Does This Strange Anomaly Happen.

TheCuriousMind

I think I got the solution.

We don't see light coming from a letter, the letter is black. We see the light from background (white), the letter is where there is no light.

Because of the object being out of focus, there is progressively less light coming through as we get closer to the object's edge. So, near the object's edge more light coming through from a bit farther from the object and it gets darker as we get closer. The letter appears where it is dark. The dark area moves progressively closer to the edge. Thus, the lines of the letter appear to move closer to the edge.

13 hours ago, Genady said:

I'd expect this to progressively dim parts of the image on the retina. But why would they move? (If they in fact do.)

Yes exactly, why does this cause them to appear to move? It appears to be bending the path of the light to your eyes/camera Lense? But how, the blurred area is no an inherent property of the object that is out of focus.  

2 minutes ago, TheCuriousMind said:

Yes exactly, why does this cause them to appear to move? It appears to be bending the path of the light to your eyes/camera Lense? But how, the blurred area is no an inherent property of the object that is out of focus.  

No light is coming from the black letters. Did you see my last post above? What do you think about that solution of the puzzle?

On 12/24/2022 at 9:47 PM, Genady said:

No light is coming from the black letters. Did you see my last post above? What do you think about that solution of the puzzle?

I must have not, let me take a look :)

On 12/24/2022 at 2:25 PM, Genady said:

I think I got the solution.

We don't see light coming from a letter, the letter is black. We see the light from background (white), the letter is where there is no light.

Because of the object being out of focus, there is progressively less light coming through as we get closer to the object's edge. So, near the object's edge more light coming through from a bit farther from the object and it gets darker as we get closer. The letter appears where it is dark. The dark area moves progressively closer to the edge. Thus, the lines of the letter appear to move closer to the edge.

Interesting still none the less! Ha ha thank you guys I think I might have learned a few things here.