before '95

eruheru

Prior to Windows '95 the major opeating systems were Windows 3, DOS 6, Apple's Macintosh and IBM's OS/2. Also a lot of us used the Commodore Amiga during that time frame, which had its own OS loosely based on UNIX/DOS.

(That should be roughly the correct order of their popularity, too.)

I still have nightmares about trying to squeeze inits into the 640k barrier and still leave enough room for apps to run. I remember so many times when it simply was not possible to satisfy the requirements of both the application and the needs of the various bits of installed hardware.

That was back when IT people had to WORK for a living. And we WALKED to work, 50 miles, UPHILL BOTH WAYS! :)

The sad thing is, there are people who work in IT today who have no idea what that even means, much less what it was like dealing with that nonsense.

Hey, don't forget the BBC Basic. I had one of those when I was about 3 ;)

yeah! Beeb basic is STILL the best (and I was fluent in 8 different dielects of basic back then, so I have a reasonable idea of what I`m on about), actualy it`s probably the best 8bit machine ever made for interfacing too. I have 4 working beebs here also :)

edit: I`m surprised no one`s mentioned TOS yet either (Tramiel Operating System) It`s still used today in some studios for music production also.

Can anyone remember which oldy it was that had 'desktop waiter' on it?

Im trying to remember the old one we had in school, but thats pretty-much all that I can remember: that it had a program called 'waiter' on it (i have a feeling that waiter was part of the OS rather than an added on application.)

Oh, and that if you pressed F12 the bar-along-the-bottom shifted up one, and a command-line interface appeared below it.

With that TOS' date=' wasn't that Jack Tramiel of ATARI?

ST1024 rings a bell somewhere :)

Your right, the music side to that OS is still lurking around in some studios.[/quote']

the very same chap indeed, and before the ST1024 we had atari 520STFM (I have one of those here too). as for the music I think it was adopted because it was the 1`st ever home computer with built in MIDI ports and the software to support it, so naturaly the writers for it had a head start and knew what the masses wanted before any other platform had a plug-in-the-back interface on the market to compete with.