What is the difference between a magnetic and an electromagnetic field?

requirer

1 hour ago, requirer said:

The question is contained in the title text, though i'm not sure if this is the appropriate place (forum) to ask the question. Thanks

Yes this is the right place to ask and a very good question.

As you are probably aware there is a tie up or connection between electricity and magnetism.

Each of them on their own can produce a static field of their own kind.

Note I say static.  That is a static electric charge has a static filed around it and a static magnet has a static magnetic field around it.

The connection comes when we introduce motion.

On their own a moving charge or magnet means a moving field, still just a single electrical or magnetic field on its own.

But in the right circumstances a moving electric or magnetic field is a changing field which can induce a sympathetically changing magnetic or electric field in free space or suitable materials.

In turn the varying magnetic or electric field induces a varying electric or magnetic field.

The result is called an electromagnetic field.

Ther is no such thing a a static electromagnetic field.

The best way to illustrate and explain further is to use the mechanism of operation of an aerial or antenna.

I will need to draw a diagram but will post this first to be going on with.

On 10/4/2022 at 1:35 AM, requirer said:

The question is contained in the title text, though i'm not sure if this is the appropriate place (forum) to ask the question. Thanks

Well, a magnetic field is a particular aspect of the more general electromagnetic field - simply speaking, its defining characteristic is that magnetic field lines do not end anywhere, ie they either form closed loops or extend to infinity. In contrast, the field lines of the electric field begin or end at electric charges, but never form closed loops.

Both the electric and the magnetic field are aspects of the same underlying entity, which is the electromagnetic field. All observers agree on what the EM field is, but they each see a different mix of electric and magnetic fields, depending on their state of motion with respect to the sources (electric charges).

• 4 months later...

Electromagnetism deals with both electricity and magnetism and the interaction between them. Permanent magnetism or magnetism is the force that can cause two objects to attract or repel each other because of the motion of moving charges. Electromagnetism deals with both electric and magnetic fields.