voting for a president or leave a like on youtube : how do we call this phenomenon ?

raphaelh42

On 9/19/2022 at 9:07 PM, Phi for All said:

This assumes you're the only person involved. It assumes you never talk to anyone else. It assumes nobody else is going to add their votes.

Trying to understand, do you mean some people vote to try to influence some people to vote for the same person ? (like "hey i'm going to vote for X because ...")

Worst of all, it assumes that huge numbers are NOT made up of lots of 1s added together.

I wrote : "I mean adding 1 to a huge number knowing you will affect the result just by 1"

Don't understanding why you said it assumes that huge numbers are not made up of lots of 1s added together

So i'm going to be more precise about what I mean by "this phenomenon" :

I mean yourself adding 1 to a huge number, knowing each person can also add a 1.

Ah I think I should have use the "yourself" word instead of "you"

For example people are building a beach from scratch and each person is allowed to add only 1 grain of sand, yourself arrive to the place and yourself see the beach already have a lot of sand, yourself add the only one grain yourself are allowed to add.

I think I don't really want to know each reasons why people would add their 1 to huge numbers, what I would really like is that there is a wikipedia page for this "phenomenon", maybe I should just try to create it...

Absolutely NOT. As swansont noted above, there are those who know how much your vote can upset their plans, and they want you to believe your vote is worthless. If you want to give it a name, call it "a lie", or "misinformation", or "manipulating the uneducated".

Not sure to understand, do you mean this wikipedia page would be dangerous because people could be less inclined to add 1 to huge numbers because if they would read it they might be disappointed to know deeply why they are doing this ?

Edited by raphaelh42

On 9/18/2022 at 7:08 AM, geordief said:

You are just one person among the millions of others.Why do you feel your vote should have a disproportionate  effect?

You can't even be sure your vote was well enough informed or well enough intentioned (as an aside)

Did the combatants in WW2 or Ukraine  just give up because they could not make the final difference personally?

On 9/18/2022 at 7:08 AM, geordief said:

You are just one person among the millions of others.Why do you feel your vote should have a disproportionate  effect?

You can't even be sure your vote was well enough informed or well enough intentioned (as an aside)

Did the combatants in WW2 or Ukraine  just give up because they could not make the final difference personally?

On 9/20/2022 at 7:48 AM, exchemist said:

OK, sure, all democracies are imperfect and some are worse than others.  But that's not the point I was addressing, which was your apparent objection to government going to war, or taking other decisions, without a referendum to consult the people. 

On 9/20/2022 at 7:09 AM, dimreepr said:

A saying of my father was, "whoever I vote for, the government always win", which is of course true but in my societies version of pseudo-democracy it's because the balance of the government is becoming skewed, due to my vote being further diluted, by the latest winner with a minority percentage of the voting public. 

It's not a reason to stop voting, fighting or pointing it out; but it is a reason why I doubt my vote counts for much, especially since I'm poor (as a church mouse)...

When did I say I don't vote?

On 9/20/2022 at 7:09 AM, dimreepr said:

A saying of my father was, "whoever I vote for, the government always win", which is of course true but in my societies version of pseudo-democracy it's because the balance of the government is becoming skewed, due to my vote being further diluted, by the latest winner with a minority percentage of the voting public. 

It's not a reason to stop voting, fighting or pointing it out; but it is a reason why I doubt my vote counts for much, especially since I'm poor (as a church mouse)...

When did I say I don't vote?

John Donne:  [so] ...never send out to know for whom the bell tolls: It tolls for thee.

5 hours ago, ArielLexina said:

John Donne:  [so] ...never send out to know for whom the bell tolls: It tolls for thee.

If that's meant as an arguement to my post's, then you've missed the point of the poem and the thurst of my argument; trying to design a society by excluding some unnecessary members (criminal's and the stupid/gullible and etc.) is like trying to design evolution by excuding bacteria and viruses and etc.

what do you think about naming the wikipedia page of this behavior "+1 complex" ?

i guess when you see a youtube video and all the comments are the same, you add one same more, it's a +1 complex

i mean it's not always a 1 that you add...

Edited by raphaelh42

9 hours ago, raphaelh42 said:

what do you think about naming the wikipedia page of this behavior "+1 complex" ?

i guess when you see a youtube video and all the comments are the same, you add one same more, it's a +1 complex

i mean it's not always a 1 that you add...

I think that would lend it more credence than it deserves...