The Butterfly Affect Not Effect a complex equation from a simple premise?

chrisjones

1 hour ago, chrisjones said:

I suspect a complex equation from a simple premise the Butterfly Affect as opposed to the Butterfly Effect to describe the process by which small but socially significant events spark large social responses.

Can you rephrase this into a meaningful question please ?

The Butterfly effect is a complicated (please don't use the word complex, that means something else that could be confusing) dynamic.

13 hours ago, studiot said:

The Butterfly effect is a complicated (please don't use the word complex, that means something else that could be confusing) dynamic.

Sorry swansot I mistakenly thought it was self-explanatory and the different meanings between the words affect and effect would be self-explanatory and provide context, however, although  I can personally visualize the concept fully perhaps the concept requires further explanation. I will endeavor to explain the concept further tomorrow morning.

On 9/9/2022 at 9:43 AM, studiot said:

Hi swansot this is not my complete explanation or an extensive technical reply but I would prefer that this discussion continues. I am proposing a neat equation much like E=mc2 to describe the complex behavioral dynamics of how small but significant social events trigger a mass social response. If you read this MIT article, excerpt, and link below you may understand my attempt to describe the concept more clearly. 

"  Driven by an insatiable curiosity about the human mind, she is working on two PhD thesis projects in two different cognitive neuroscience labs at MIT. For one, she is studying punishment as a social tool to influence others. For the other, she is uncovering the neural processes underlying social learning — that is, learning from others. By piecing together these two research programs, Radkani is hoping to gain a better understanding of the mechanisms underpinning social influence in the mind and brain." 

https://news.mit.edu/2022/setayesh-radkani-social-brain-0909

8 hours ago, swansont said:

I don’t see “butterfly affect” anywhere in that article.

Affect is a verb, so I don’t know what you mean by “butterfly affect”

I don't think you will find it in this context on google either because it is an original and novel concept swansont . In the context of the butterfly affect  , it is referring to similar processes as the butterfly effect however as it pertains to emotional and behavioral dynamics both individually and also collectively, in this case, to describe how small but significant social incidents trigger a large social and behavioral response in populations.

affect1

/əˈfɛkt/

verb

1. have an effect on; make a difference to.
    "the dampness began to affect my health"

affected
    • touch the feelings of; move emotionally.
      "he was visibly affected by the tragedy"

Hi swansot this is not my complete explanation or an extensive technical reply but I would prefer that this discussion continues. I am proposing a neat equation much like E=mc2 to describe the complex emotional dynamics of how small but significant social incidents trigger a mass social response. If you read this MIT article, excerpt, and link below you may understand my attempt to describe the concept more clearly. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to retire from this thread, if anybody stumbles on this idea and want's to take it forward " FILL YOUR BOOTS " as they say 🙂👍

5 hours ago, chrisjones said:

I'm going to retire from this thread, if anybody stumbles on this idea and want's to take it forward " FILL YOUR BOOTS " as they say 🙂👍

+1

Perhaps we can put the whole thing down to a 'Samuel Taylor Coleridge' moment  - as in Kubla Khan.

Perhaps also your imagination would be better directed towards the arts than towards the sciences ?

10 hours ago, chrisjones said:

Hi swansot

When folks incorrectly cite my username once, I chalk it up to being an accident, a typo. When it continues, I assume it’s either lack of attention to detail or deliberate.

I'm going to retire from this thread

In the future, more careful framing and rigor may prevent having to retire from an untenable position.