Colour and Feeling

Peterkin

I was reminded today of a book I had in the 60's called The Luscher Colour Test. It came with a set of cards like samples from the paint store. The colours you like and don't like supposed tell a lot about your personality.

Only, I find that far too general. Yes, there is something to green being restful and red being exciting, but it's not very informative. I think people have particular, personal associations with some colours to which they respond strongly, while they may be indifferent to or ambivalent about other colours. There is also a great variety in colour perception.

Do you find that the colour scheme of a room affects your mood when you're in it? How long does it usually take to have an affect? Do you decorate your home according to an emotional atmosphere you intend to create?

Are there colours in your environment that you deliberately avoid or seek out? Do you look for particular colours in different moods or situations?

Do some paintings, garments or objects attract or repel you because of their colour? 

Give me red, white and blue, any day of the week! My NRL football team's colours.

Sydney Roosters | Rugby League Jerseys

All joviality aside, I like yellow, colour of my living room, but also need plenty of  natural daylight pouring into a room....doors open, widows open, skylights...curtain pulled aside!

6 hours ago, Peterkin said:

1. Do you find that the colour scheme of a room affects your mood when you're in it?

2. How long does it usually take to have an affect?

3. Do you decorate your home according to an emotional atmosphere you intend to create?

4. Are there colours in your environment that you deliberately avoid or seek out?

5. Do you look for particular colours in different moods or situations?

6. Do some paintings, garments or objects attract or repel you because of their colour? 

(I have added the numbers to the quote above.)

1. I don't know how to separate an effect of color from that of other factors.

2. Fractions of a second.

3. No.

4. No.

5. No.

6. See #1.

4 hours ago, Genady said:

I don't know how to separate an effect of color from that of other factors.

Interesting. It's the first and most important thing I notice, right after light or dark. I hate the recent SF movies where all the sets are shades of metallic blue: I can't look at them for more than a few minutes.

1 hour ago, Peterkin said:

Interesting. It's the first and most important thing I notice, right after light or dark. I hate the recent SF movies where all the sets are shades of metallic blue: I can't look at them for more than a few minutes.

I've noticed this cheap trick of making movies in the metallic blue shades, about 10-15 years ago. I hated them too, but not because of the coloration, but because they inevitably were bad movies (to my taste, of course). So, after a while, as soon as I saw this color I just stopped watching at once.

33 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

For you, the colour is associated with an experience. For me, colour is significant in itself.

I doubt the Luscher personality test would work for either of us. I just took it and the result is pure BS.

I've ran it three times (clicking randomly since I don't know which color I enjoy most etc.) I think the three parts of the "results" are just coming out in various combinations.

Yeah, it's kind of Mickey Mouse. When I was young, this was a thing - I suppose more of a fad. At that time, I encountered nobody as indifferent to colour as you seem to be and find it hard to fathom.  I guess I ran with a fairly artsy crowd, so maybe that created a bias. 

Like the MBTI is now, except that employers didn't make prospective employees take personality tests back then, though they might give a general competence or IQ test, to see if you could handle the job; whether you fit in was your problem.