China fires up ‘artificial sun’ 7 times warmer than the real sun

beecee

https://www.the-sun.com/tech/4330598/china-fires-up-artificial-sun/

HOT TO TROT 

China fires up ‘artificial sun’ 7 times warmer than the real sun to make unlimited energy – and wants to make it HOTTER

CHINA has fired up a machine designed to make unlimited energy known as the "artificial sun" - and wants to make it even hotter than the real sun.

Tests being run on the Experiential Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) trying to get a higher temperature and longer duration at the Hefei Institutes of Physical Science research centre.

China has fired up its 'artificial sun' to raise its temperature higher

The device is already close to seven times warmer than the sun, but scientists are trying to upgrade the EAST's auxiliary heating system to make it more "hot" and "durable", local media Xinhua News Agency reported.

Designed and developed by the Chinese, the EAST has been used since 2006 by scientists from all around the world to conduct fusion-related experiments.

More than 10,000 Chinese and foreign scientific researchers have worked together to bring to life the artificial sun.

more at link......................

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My first two questions....how reputable for accurate news is the US Sun? and secondly, how viable and accurate is this news actually, coming from China?

a small extract....

"He said: “Five years from now, we will start to build our fusion reactor, which will need another 10 years of construction.

"After that is built we will construct the power generator and start generating power by around 2040."

2 hours ago, TheVat said:

The Sun is Murdoch owned tabloid garbage.  You can use the paper version for birdcages, or your dog (if it is very undiscriminating in where it makes its deposits).  

I found this source, which might be a little less breathless.

https://phys.org/news/2018-11-chinese-fusion-tool-million-degrees.html

Murdoch owned says enough. Thanks for the other link, actually one of my top choices for science news.

It seems  significant progress then has been made with fusion reactors.

As has been revealed in the other fusion discussions recently, this article is thin on useful information. How hot the plasma gets is only one technical aspect, but like the adage about the law, when the temperature of the plasma is what you have, pound on the temperature of the plasma. I don't see where they explain how close to break-even they are, or how close to self-sustaining they are.

Any predictions need to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm confident that if the history of the project were looked into, you would find schedule slips galore. Such is the nature of both research and construction projects. This thing has been in operation for >15 years.

1 hour ago, swansont said:

As has been revealed in the other fusion discussions recently, this article is thin on useful information. How hot the plasma gets is only one technical aspect, but like the adage about the law, when the temperature of the plasma is what you have, pound on the temperature of the plasma. I don't see where they explain how close to break-even they are, or how close to self-sustaining they are.

Any predictions need to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm confident that if the history of the project were looked into, you would find schedule slips galore. Such is the nature of both research and construction projects. This thing has been in operation for >15 years.

Yes, it reads like a "we've-got-one-too" piece, rather than news of substantive progress.

But the Chinese may be making progress with it: we've all seen enough recently not to sniff at their technological prowess. 

3 hours ago, exchemist said:

Yes, it reads like a "we've-got-one-too" piece, rather than news of substantive progress.

But the Chinese may be making progress with it: we've all seen enough recently not to sniff at their technological prowess. 

OTOH, if they were making real progress they could report real progress, in terms of milestones

The one possible positive here is that it's not obvious that they will be leaving the project in private hands for further development; it seems like the government is all-in on the work.

2 hours ago, swansont said:

OTOH, if they were making real progress they could report real progress, in terms of milestones

The one possible positive here is that it's not obvious that they will be leaving the project in private hands for further development; it seems like the government is all-in on the work.

Which is why I asked the question, " and secondly, how viable and accurate is this news actually, coming from China?"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.