Redox and Electrochemistry

popcornfrenzy

I'm kinda confused as to how chemical reaction occurs in Electrochemistry; thus, I have questions:

1. Can Redox reaction occur in metals just changing their oxidation numbers? like Zn + Cu2+ turning to Zn2+ + Cu and if so how is it considered a chemical reaction when there is no compound being formed, no decomposition happening, nor displacement occurring just two metals transferring electrons and not even forming an alloy.

2. How does the decomposition of water via electrolysis works? Like I saw an example in the internet where two isolated containers of solution of Zn, Cu and SO42- with electrodes of Zn and Cu submerged in them that allows for electrons to travel spontaneously. However, in H2O there is no individual containers thus, how do we know that Oxygen is the one being pulled of its electrons and not Hydrogen? Plus what are the electrodes in this case made of cause it's easier to understand if the solution shares the same composition with their electrodes, but in hydrogen and oxygen it's obvious to think that they are not the electrodes here since the two are solid only in extreme temperatures. Also is there an specific property that makes an electrode and electrode?.

1. There will be compounds formed. Cu 2+ is already a salt. It has an anion. Zinc will form a salt if its transformed to Zn2+. Th process goes under humidity. Its also called a galvanic element. It guides to corrosion. In your case zinc corrodes.

2. The first what you described is an simple batterie. Daniel element.

Water itself has pure conductivity. For electrolysis a salt or sulfuric acid will be added.

On cathode.  Hydrogen will be develped.

2 H+ + 2 e- => H2

On Anode oxygen will be developed.

2 H2O + 2 SO4 2- => 2 H2SO4   + O2 + 4 e-

Under aid of sulfuric acid water will be electrolysis.

2 H2O => 2H2 + O2

Edited by chenbeier

2 hours ago, chenbeier said:

1. There will be compounds formed. Cu 2+ is already a salt. It has an anion. Zinc will form a salt if its transformed to Zn2+. Th process goes under humidity. Its also called a galvanic element. It guides to corrosion. In your case zinc corrodes.

2. The first what you described is an simple batterie. Daniel element.

Water itself has pure conductivity. For electrolysis a salt or sulfuric acid will be added.

On cathode.  Hydrogen will be develped.

2 H+ + 2 e- => H2

On Anode oxygen will be developed.

2 H2O + 2 SO4 2- => 2 H2SO4   + O2 + 4 e-

Under aid of sulfuric acid water will be electrolysis.

2 H2O => 2H2 + O2

Oh thanks I realized a lot things especially with the addition of salt and sulfuric acid though I'm understanding the concept bit by bit gladly I'm on the right path