What programming language is this??

albertlee

Do you people know what sort of programming language yield dll to accomplish an exe??

I mean, normally, for example, Java, if you want something to accomplish an exe, you use jar, right?

secondly, is it possible to see what programming language is used by "looking" at a software??

thanks

If you mean which languages use DLL aka Direct Link Libaries, well, most newer High-end language do, e.g C#, C+, C++ to name a few.

To the second question, if you mean cutting open the software and taking a look at its source code, it is possible, but higly unethical.

DLL's are not the same as EXE's. They are not made to run on their own but contain compiled code for various functions etc. An EXE (or a binary, as exe is simply an extension) can call a function from a dll. This allows compiled code for various functions to be kept seperate from the main code (code that is used across many different applications requiring only 1 dll), which means that the code doesnt have to be repeated in the EXE's of each application reducing the size of the binary and meaning that if changes need to be made to the inner workings of the function included in the dll, they can be without altering the EXE (as long as the function/procedure parameter / call remain the same).

As far as what languages can be compiled to dll's, I think there are quite a few. I think it is less a matter of which languages and more which compilers will compile which languages. It is certainly not just .Net programming languages as dll's have been around alot longer. However dll's, as far as I am aware are a window's idea (not libraries but the actual specifics of dll's in windows, in Linux or Unix, the same thing would be done with libraries which are effectively the same thing but probably implemented slightly differently with things such as .so files (again just an extension)) and so as far as I know a windows compatible compiler would be required, passing the correct options to compile to dll (check out winamp plugins and how to make them, involves making a dll).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_%28computer_science%29#Dynamic_linking

• 2 weeks later...
Do you people know what sort of programming language yield dll to accomplish an exe??

I would imagine that there are many programs that can create dll and exe files.

You can create dll and exe files yourself, quite easily if you install the .net framework, and then use a text editor to create the file. You then access the compiler that comes free with the framework to create either a dll or exe file. You can even view these files with a viewer that comes with the .net framework. I think you can tell what software created the files with the viewer. I did have a link to a webpage which explained how to do this, but I cannot find it! If I do come across it, I will post it.

You can take an executable and open up the assembly lang to see what its doing. However it is very hard to tell what language a program was written in since all languages provide a quick and easy way to manipulate data.

The best analogy I can come up with right now is figureing out a what lang a prog was written in is like trying to figure out what language a mathematition speaks when all you have is roman numerals and symbols.

No matter what all languages move data around.

Microsoft Visual Basic generates dlls, to get away from them you have to have a professional version. I think of dlls as giant pains in the ass, especially after several years of dll hell with half the software writers replacing standard dlls with their own versions and causing all sorts of problems with other software. 80 gig drives can be bought two for a week's paycheck, so why try to save drive space that way?

These days any compiled language can create dlls. I just stay away from them when I can.

You can take an executable and open up the assembly lang to see what its doing. However it is very hard to tell what language a program was written in since all languages provide a quick and easy way to manipulate data.

The best analogy I can come up with right now is figureing out a what lang a prog was written in is like trying to figure out what language a mathematition speaks when all you have is roman numerals and symbols.

No matter what all languages move data around.

Uh... not sure whether you meant that you would decompile the binary to an assembly language but you can't simply open it up and be presented with assembly language, you'll simply be presented with strings of random characters depending on the editor as it comprises of binary data. Yes each set of bits will make up one processor command and the data being passed to it etc but it won't be easily readable like assembly language until you decompile those commands into the pneumonics that assembly languages use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_language