Verbal Aids for Science (Mottos)

joigus

My original idea was about scientific principles, but poetic, inspirational mottoes are certainly useful too. So I personally welcome them.

Another very well-known one by John Wheeler:

“Space-time tells matter how to move; matter tells space-time how to curve”

There is another one which captures the essence of Darwin's theory of evolution, that I can't remember now, and I must rescue from somewhere. If anybody remembers...

Siv is (was?) a rather common Swedish name and useful for the rule SIV, short for "Syran i vattenet" with translates to "The acid in the water". A helpful reminder that you dilute strong acids by adding small amounts of acid to the water.

(If you instead would add water into concentrated acid, the heat generated can cause concentrated acid to fume, spatter.)

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2020 at 4:42 PM, dimreepr said:

It doesn't seem to change the need for rigor, while leaving the less rigorous an invite too join in; a dear wish of mine is to play a musical instrument, but I've yet to receive an aphorism that by-passes the need to practice...

+1