A Stupid Question

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know what on earth you were thinking. No offense. But really, its obvious that we share a common ancestry. You’re suggesting that plants and animals are completely alien to one another. Under those circumstances, life in the galaxy would be quite dull, because every species would be more similar to us than we’ve ever suspected. Come on kids, this is school stuff, really

Add this to "common Origin" :

Plants and animals share the building blocks and fundamental biochemistry that evolved before the two kingdoms presumably diverged from common single-celled ancestors. But with their radically different cell structures, plants and animals are thought to have pursued largely independent evolutionary routes.

Innate immunity turns out to involve strikingly similar mechanisms in both plants and animals. One can find resemblances in the receptors that recognize pathogenic components such as lipopolysaccharide; in the signaling systems that initiate responses through kinase cascades; and in the defense mechanisms, including reactive molecules such as nitric oxide.

There are both functional and genetic similarities between plant and animal innate immunity.

before I barge in on your pi$$ing contest.

It has been a long time since I studied biology, and a lot has changed, but I still remember some interesting facts. Before I chime in here, I often do a little research double check my memory.

Here is a link from Rutgers University about the "Euglenoid Project".

http://bio.rutgers.edu/euglena/

Regarding the idea that plants and animals evolved from the same organism, there is a really cool one-celled organism that contains both plant and animal characteristics. Its name is Euglena. As far as its animal characteristics, it has flagella, and can move. As far as being plantlike it contains chloroplasts and can photosynthesize. I guess you could call it a "planimal". :D:D

There are a variety of euglenoids - and different species vary as to the degree that they are plant-like or animal-like. They have a very unique cell surface, called a "pellicle". One of the major differences between plant cells and animal cells is that plant cells have a rigid wall, and animal cells have a flexible membrane. The pellicle of the euglenoids is organized with ridges and grooves, and beneath them are protein based strips. If the strips are arranged longtitudinally, the animal is rigid. If they are arranged in a helical fashion, the animal is able to "wiggle".

Derr, there are species that exist in a kind of kindom limbo. Early single-cellulars became algae by adapting chloroplasts, and eventually, cell walls and mega-sized vacuoles. Algae evolved from these early, amoebe-like entities. Think about it you stupid @ss, that's how life advances, by evolving new adaptations, and contrary to common beliefs, great evolutionary changes occur in a snap of the fingers. ONly the little stuff, the minor details, takes millenia to develope. Look at bat's wings, as far as we can tell, the direct ancestor of the earliest known bat did not have wings, yet the first bat had a ffully developed set of those leathery flappers we all know and love.

Besides, algae is a single-celled organism. God, I am so glad I wasn't born with that pesky y-chromosome you men pack. It causes so many friggin' flaws. Double-x is perfection.