Jump to content
Achromat

Testing for Aluminum

Recommended Posts

Hello, I basically know next to nothing about science and am wondering about ways I can find out if there's any aluminum in a pile of dust I have. I would also, if possible, like to somehow find out if there's any aluminum content in my raw bearded wheat.

The only option I know of is to use a neodymium magnet, which isn't very accessible to me. Can someone point me in another (easier) direction(s)?

TIA

I now realize I posted this in the wrong section. My bad

Edited by Achromat
Grammatical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
!

Moderator Note

Moved to chemistry as most likely relevant

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Achromat said:

Hello, I basically know next to nothing about science and am wondering about ways I can find out if there's any aluminum in a pile of dust I have. I would also, if possible, like to somehow find out if there's any aluminum content in my raw bearded wheat.

The only option I know of is to use a neodymium magnet, which isn't very accessible to me. Can someone point me in another (easier) direction(s)?

TIA

I now realize I posted this in the wrong section. My bad

**WARNING this information contains chemicals that are very corrosive and also toxic. Handle with care and make sure to dispose of properly. 

I would say if you just wanted to find if there is some amount of aluminum within the dust or the wheat and not a specific quantity, I would try some drain cleaner (NaOH or lye). Aluminum has a vigorous reaction with NaOH and thus can easily be observed if there is Al present in your dust. Try to use a small amount of your dust or wheat and a drop of drain cleaner to test. 

Here's the reaction taking place:

2Al + 2NaOH + 6H2O → 2Na[Al(OH)4] + 3H2

And if you'd like, here's a quick video of the reaction so you're not surprised by what will happen if you try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O3fOHYBXx0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, uoste211 said:

**WARNING this information contains chemicals that are very corrosive and also toxic. Handle with care and make sure to dispose of properly. 

I would say if you just wanted to find if there is some amount of aluminum within the dust or the wheat and not a specific quantity, I would try some drain cleaner (NaOH or lye). Aluminum has a vigorous reaction with NaOH and thus can easily be observed if there is Al present in your dust. Try to use a small amount of your dust or wheat and a drop of drain cleaner to test. 

Here's the reaction taking place:

2Al + 2NaOH + 6H2O → 2Na[Al(OH)4] + 3H2

And if you'd like, here's a quick video of the reaction so you're not surprised by what will happen if you try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O3fOHYBXx0

Wow cool, thanks! I'll try it out and let you guys know if chem-trails are real! 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Achromat said:

I'll try it out and let you guys know if chem-trails are real!

They aren't.

On 2/27/2020 at 10:57 PM, Achromat said:

Hello, I basically know next to nothing about science and am wondering about ways I can find out if there's any aluminum in a pile of dust I have. I would also, if possible, like to somehow find out if there's any aluminum content in my raw bearded wheat.

Well, the first thing to consider is that aluminium might be present as a compound or as the metal.

There are almost certainly aluminium compounds in the dust and in the wheat.

Aluminium is the commonest metal in the Earth's crust. It gets everywhere.

 

Aluminium metal is less likely- unless the material has been stored in aluminium containers or some such.

Why do you want to know?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

There are almost certainly aluminium compounds in the dust and in the wheat.

From what I remember (I don’t have the book with me) wheat is one of the main sources of dietary aluminium. Tea has the largest amount. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.