Finding a lab to work in/advance through

despues18

Will finish B.S. in molecular biology in May. Have found asking vague questions about where to go/apply to next are pretty unhelpful.

I believe that going through indexes of interesting research is the closest I can get to finding a place to advance myself and be happy in. 

here is an example for UW-Madison,

https://discoveryportal.org/default.aspx

Would you have any suggestions about approaches/resources similar to this one?

1 hour ago, despues18 said:

Will finish B.S. in molecular biology in May.

Are you truly able to go anywhere the work takes you?

You must have referred to many papers in your studies.
Look to see what those sources/institutions are doing now. Perhaps write to them.
One may have an opening for you.

Most universities have researcher profiles though which you can go in order to ask for a position. In addition, most researchers advertise open positions on their personal home pages. That being said, if you are not local, a cold call (or rather email) without a compelling write-up and CV will probably go unanswered. We got tons of requests for graduate student positions and it is difficult to commit someone just based on paperwork (i.e. without having seen them in the lab or without recommendation of someone that you trust).