Newtons Law of Cooling

Colin Bischof

Newtons law of Cooling states that the rate at which an object changes temperature is directly related to difference between the temperature of the object and its respective surroundings and can be written in a differential equation as so:

dT/dt = k(Tobject - Tsurroundings)

The question I have is, in practical terms, what does the proportionality constant represent? specific heat?

Edited by Colin Bischof
grammar

5 minutes ago, Colin Bischof said:

Newtons law of Cooling states that the rate at which an object changes temperature is directly related to difference between the temperature of the object and its respective surroundings and can be written in a differential equation as so:

dT/dt = k(Tobject - Tsurroundings)

The question I have is, in practical terms, what does the proportionality constant represent? specific heat?

It can represent many factors. Yes, specific heat. But also surface area (ie the geometry of the object), how insulated it is, the colour and texture of the surface, etc.

!

Moderator Note

Moved to Physics as that seems more appropriate.

1 minute ago, Strange said:

It can represent many factors. Yes, specific heat. But also surface area (ie the geometry of the object), how insulated it is, the colour and texture of the surface, etc.

!

Moderator Note

Moved to Physics as that seems more appropriate.

Very interesting. Do you know where I might be able to find more information on the subject? Either way, thank you.