Will VR cause human extinction?

cats2345

If we have full dive VR would there still be people living in real life apart from poeple who maintain the VR equipment ? I am referring to VR brain implants/BCIs not VR headsets, googles, etc

In your opinion approximately how many people would remain if that would happen? 1 MIllion maybe

Thanks

Can you imagine how much energy using full dive VR would need. To be continually in VR 24/7 would cost a fortune. The average person just wouldn't be able to afford it. And if you could afford it, you'd probably be wealthy and wouldn't need it. Why pretend to drive a Ferrari when you can drive your own.

Maybe if there was a way for people to be productive inside VR, someway to pay for the electricity, then maybe. 

It would be very appealing to the majority of people I reckon. I'd definitely be up for it, but the reason for wanting to do it is the same reason I couldn't do it- lack of money.

Would be interesting to see some of the different worlds people would choose to live in (if there was a choice). I'd personally prefer to travel back to different periods in history, rather than live in the future. Would be fascinating.

Living in a film or T.V would be good as well- The Matrix, King Kong, Heat, Harry Potter, The Dirty Dozen, Knight Rider, Basic Instinct... :)

Edited by Curious layman

1 hour ago, Curious layman said:

Living in a film or T.V would be good as well- The Matrix, King Kong, Heat, Harry Potter, The Dirty Dozen, Knight Rider, Basic Instinct... :)

...it is good only for the main player, and not so good for A.I. which are living and existing inside of VR world.. ;)

1 hour ago, Curious layman said:

Would be interesting to see some of the different worlds people would choose to live in (if there was a choice). I'd personally prefer to travel back to different periods in history, rather than live in the future. Would be fascinating.

...you don't understand anything.. for true VR you have to lose the all remember of your true life.. to fully dive in your new virtual life, and treat it as true life...

Edited by Sensei

4 hours ago, Curious layman said:

Can you imagine how much energy using full dive VR would need. To be continually in VR 24/7 would cost a fortune. The average person just wouldn't be able to afford it. And if you could afford it, you'd probably be wealthy and wouldn't need it. Why pretend to drive a Ferrari when you can drive your own.

You wouldn't just drive a Ferrari in VR. You could be a Ferrari, driving through space faster than the speed of light, dodging supernova for fun.

To the OP: there will always be people who would rather stay in the physical world. Many of them i would imagine.

3 hours ago, Sensei said:

...you don't understand anything.. for true VR you have to lose the all remember of your true life.. to fully dive in your new virtual life, and treat it as true life...

Bollocks. You just have to be convinced it's real.

I can already achieve your version of AI when I go to sleep.