Super-Volcanos, should we be worried?

kenel

MSNBC has an article on the catastrophic possibilities of a super-volcano eruption.

A volcanic super-eruption could pose twice as much of a threat to civilization as a collision with an asteroid or comet. Every 100,000 years, a cosmic body with a diameter of more than 0.6 miles slams into Earth, but New York University’s Michael Rampino warned that a massive volcanic eruption capable of causing as much devastation occurs once every 50,000 years.

Could we possibly be worrying too much about biological terrorism, nuclear terrorism, and the threat of astroids hitting our civilization, and not enough about nature's hot coca-cola?

The eruption of one, could possibly create a chain reaction, and erupt all of those seen on the east coast. Boom goes Washington, Oregon, most of California, and New Mexico (eh, who needs it anyways?).

Originally posted by kenel

The eruption of one, could possibly create a chain reaction, and erupt all of those seen on the east coast. Boom goes Washington, Oregon, most of California, and New Mexico (eh, who needs it anyways?).

I do believe you mean West Coast.

Venice Beach too, and yes...I meant the ALMOST the whole west coast of the United States. If you look at the map, there are certain states in which super-volcanos are not present. But in the event they started a chain reaction, the Lava could flow into the "safe" states.

• 1 month later...

I would be......I'm not overly concern about it in normal circumstances. it would normally take a thousand more years to mature....but these aren't normal circumstances......we all know newtons laws of motion.....well...here's one more to think about.... if the Mega-Tsunami from the canaries happens....the sudden stress can spark an erruption.....then it would be time to worry.....