Question about magnetism

Moontanman

1 hour ago, Danijel Gorupec said:

I guess, it might show increased drag (as it rolls around) due to Eddy currents. If the box is wide and large, I don't think the effect would be any spectacular.

Did you have some specific effect on your mind?

I have to walk with a cane, I made a walking stick out of hickory, I thought it would be cool to have something odd but natural coming out of the top. I was thinking of a 1" neodymium magnet sphere encased in a copper cage. With the group I hang with, mostly pagans, I am known as a technomage. Mostly because i use technology to bring out special effects in objects like a clear red crystal that glows so bright it lights up a room when a laser it shown through it. I don't tell these people it's supernatural. I try to tell them why it happens naturally. sometimes I don't know for sure why some things happen but I never pretend to be supernatural. The effects don't have to be spectacular since the things I do work and the things the magicians do are tricks...I know a silversmith if silver would make a better effect. 

Edited by Moontanman

I saw some round copper springs today that were spherical, make them a little bigger and connect the top and bottom and run the ball around in circles and you might get something. I think the ball touching the cage might be a problem.

Come on guys some of you know a lot more than me about this and any effects it might have. I want to be about to woah people with something looks like unexplainable but is easily explainable after i get their attention. I am in competition here with people who are scamming people with fake bullshit. Makes the really skilled craftsmen look silly, this is war! 

Oh well I figured it would be too easy, it's difficult to fight woo, especially when all you have is half baked ideas. I was hoping the eddy currents could be used to produce something cool. A 2" sphere would be rather expensive too... I'll have to put some more thought into it...