Is it possible to turn bone into cartilage?

Hello,

I have been thinking about this specific question for a while now.. from what I remember the process is simple and usually goes one way - cartilage turns into bone.

..but is it possible to turn a grown bone into .. cartilage?

I am a mechanical engineer, so that part of biology/chemistry is really not my thing. I was recommended this forum.

King regards

Well, its related to medical science.

I know that every spinal implant is covered with bone after a while.

I thought.. if its possible to turn that bone growth into an elastic material and cartilage seemed the closest.

Is it more or less clear?

Edited by Jersey

Hello

Its related to medical science.

My younger brother was diagnosed with a very severe spine disorder. The curve that he has is so extreme that it caused him trouble everywhere.

Doctors postponed surgery due to numerous after-surgery effects and send him to rehab. He will recieve a surgery, but a later time.

I know that every spinal implant is covered with bone after a while (its a reaction of the organism towards any mechanical change in spine). This is where the complications begin.

I thought to myself.. problem lays there. Loss of mobility in 1 spinal segments causes necessity of next operation, then another one, etc..

Problem could be overcomed.. if an implant could turn bone into e.g. cartilage (or anything elastic that is on the common ground with bone).

I am a mechanical engineer, and with 3 printed, custom made implants I do have certain ideas how to help him (and people like him).

However I know very little about this part of science and I was recommended this forum.

The big question:

Is it possible to turn that bone growth into an elastic material e.g. cartilage?

Best regards

Edited by Jersey