Manned space flight is..  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Manned space flight is..

• Necessary
    • Too risky
    • Waste of resources
    • Other..

• 2 weeks later...

... an absolute necessity for the ongoing survival of our race. We need to get off this rock to protect ourselves against disastrous events that could annihilate our species - don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Kettle

... an absolute necessity for the ongoing survival of our race. We need to get off this rock to protect ourselves against disastrous events that could annihilate our species - don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

It's interesting that you say that. Imagine that the planets are like different life forms, then humans are like symbiotes or germs almost if we populate & excavate other planets. Just a thought.

I kind of like the idea of people conducting space flights. They are like the great and the good explorers, Scott of the Antarctic, Allan Quatermain, Christopher Columbus, Ferdinand Magellan, Don Quixote. More than just people exploring they represent the breaking of boundaries, the struggle to achieve. No matter how pointless it is to orbit a rock, if someone isn't doing something extraordinary then life for us in the real world is a little flatter. As a consequence people have a little less to live for.

like the Oscar Wilde quote We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

Hurrah

Must stop listening to perk me up tunes. Damn Jack Johnson.

• 3 weeks later...

i am the other...i feel that we have wasted enough money and lives on outer space...what will we do...pollute another planet? however i also feel that it is a form of learning...what? i am not sure...maybe we can make the hole in the ozone a little bigger by shooting another space prober up there

• 3 weeks later...

Carl Sagan pointed out in his book Pale Blue Dot, we have for a long time been wanderers. I think the need for some people to see with their own eyes over the next ridge, mountain, ocean or gulf of space is genetic, required for them.

People like myself on the other hand have no need to travel, heck I hate driving down the street to got to the market. :P

• 4 months later...
aunt pam said in post # :

i am the other...i feel that we have wasted enough money and lives on outer space...what will we do...pollute another planet? however i also feel that it is a form of learning...what? i am not sure...maybe we can make the hole in the ozone a little bigger by shooting another space prober up there

The space shuttle does approximately one tenth of a percent of the damage to the ozone hole.