What is the effect on steel, from the temperature variations on the moon?

JF2020

For an assignment in English class, I had to write an alternate ending to my book, "Artemis" by Andy Weir.  My question, also in the title of this forum, is; What is the effect on steel, from the temperature variations on the moon?

Thanks for helping me.

JF2020

What is the effect on steel, from the temperature variations on the moon?

Temperature on the Moon varies with latitude. There will be different minimum and maximum on pole than on equator. So, you should start from looking up what are temperature minima and maxima at latitude you're interested in. Internet mentions -173 C ... +127 C. NASA moon temperature map:

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lro-gal-diviner.html

1572965644_moontemperaturemap.jpg.61e6752a1d33e763264590e6ed5f046c.jpg

4 hours ago, StringJunky said:

i  don't think it will have any effect.

Metals expand and shrink with temperature. So, you should look up specific material thermal expansion table. It must be taken into account even in human-made on the Earth buildings and constructions like e.g. bridges, because of variation of temperature in winter and summer.

Edited by Sensei

53 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Temperature on the Moon varies with latitude. There will be different minimum and maximum on pole than on equator. So, you should start from looking up what are temperature minima and maxima at latitude you're interested in. Internet mentions -173 C ... +127 C. NASA moon temperature map:

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lro-gal-diviner.html

1572965644_moontemperaturemap.jpg.61e6752a1d33e763264590e6ed5f046c.jpg

Metals expand and shrink with temperature. So, you should look up specific material thermal expansion table. It must be taken into account even in human-made on the Earth buildings and constructions like e.g. bridges, because of variation of temperature in winter and summer.

I was just thinking of permanent effects TBH,